Good closed headphones for a portable.
Dec 10, 2003 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
First thing's first, my price limit is $150-$170 or cheaper, $170 is a max. These headphones will be complimenting my Rio Karma, which has a 30mw output, IIRC.

I'm making a short list and I think the AT 900's seem to be well liked but seem to be quite 'in your face', which can be good, but as I'll likely only be owning one 'quality' set of cans for a while (due to money, so the saying's not applicable to me.
tongue.gif
)

The HFI 650 Trackmasters seem to have gotten rave reviews but some say they lack a bottom end. I'm curious though? Is this presence that it's lacking or extension?

I enjoy being able to hear the kick of a bass drum and lower octaved instruments (like bass guitar) being played without just hearing harmonics, but in the same right, I enjoy hearing all the harmonics of guitars and horns with good clarity.

Would the HFI 650 Trackmasters be sacrificing a good deal of the lower end?

If so, how would the DJ-1's stack up? Meier's site states the DJ-1's are like the Trackmasters with a bit more bottom end to them.

The 250-80's were another consideration but I've read a couple comments on here about them having a honky mid-range, which I don't think would be very easily tolerable.

The HD 280's sounded nice but the bloated mids just are a turn off.

In conclusion, I'm trying to find a good can that will be analytical enough to reveal dynamics of the songs but be smooth enough that I can tap my foot without constantly being kicked in the stomach by sheer excitement. The soundstage should ideally be fairly large.

This is what leads me to think Trackmasters, but I haven't heard many comments on how smooth they are.

Note: I will not be using an amp potentially until next year. So please don't suggest I get something like the K271's and pick up an amp.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. If any of you read my prior thread and are wondering why I'm posting this, it's because I was instructed that better thread titling may net me more responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Why not just get the HFI-700's? They have plenty of bass, are smooth, and revealing, and isolate quite well, and fold up nicely for portability.

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 10
It's been so long since I heard the HFI-650 that I've mostly lost track of exactly how they sounded. I can remember the "rightness" of the sound though. While I'm not a bass maniac, I do like some low end in a phone. If it sounded right to me, I would say there's decent low end.

I have a credit note from a pro audio store who heinously overcharged me... Which will get me an HFI-650 for effectively half price. Only problem: no stock. But being ever the completist, I think these will be my next closed phones.

Has anyone owned / extensively auditioned both 700 and 650?

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
Why not just get the HFI-700's? They have plenty of bass, are smooth, and revealing, and isolate quite well, and fold up nicely for portability.

I was thinking of them as well but I'm a bit hesitant as meier's site states that in comparison to the Trackmasters, they have a 'darker' sound. They're also above my price limit. (I'm pushing for the $170)

Dec 11, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 10
IMO, the 700's are very well balanced. If they are darker than the 650's, then the 650's must be bright/analytical (something that Jan Meier more or less confirmed to me in a PM I sent him before buying).

Dec 11, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
IMO, the 700's are very well balanced. If they are darker than the 650's, then the 650's must be bright/analytical (something that Jan Meier more or less confirmed to me in a PM I sent him before buying).

Quotes from Jan's site:

In regards to the Trackmasters:

Sonically the Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster is simply one of the best closed systems available.
Moreover, it makes a nice travelling companion, as it provides high acoustic isolation and is sturdy and foldable. However, we do recommend a headphone amplifier for optimal results.

In regards to the DVD-Editions:

The HFI-650 DVD is very similar to the Trackmaster version but has a somewhat deeper and darker sound. For those who prefer a less analytical sound with more bass-slam.
The phones come with an extra extension cable.

I appreciate the suggestion none the less, but the DVD's are too expensive either way I cut it.

Dec 11, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 10
FWIW, I find the Trackmaster's flaw to be that they are too bright. A darker sounding version of these might suit me better. However, a full, well-controlled bass response is one of the nicest things about the Trackmasters. Also the sound is very smooth, so they are not nearly as fatiguing as some other bright-sounding phones.

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks all, I think the Trackmasters seem more neutral, which would seem to be more of what I'm going for.

Any thoughts on the Ety ER6's in comparison?
Or even the Shure E2c's?
I could probably even swing for the E3c's.

I have sensitive ear canals, and have always had trouble with earbuds, so taking this into account, I'm a bit skeptical of the canalphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back