Good closed headphones for ~$400?
Dec 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

urban maverick

New Head-Fier
So I would like to driver these out of a E07k or E17k or similar portable amp/dac. I really want a powerful and defined bass. They would need to have good isolation as I am going to be in a dorm nest year and don't want to disturb/be disturbed. Also since I will be going to college they will be durable and last for years (whohoo! can't wait to be a broke college student). For music I listen too I really need these cans to be geared towards bass heavy music. Now I honestly don't know the extent of what that means so here is a song that I think summarizes the average* bass in music I would listen to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D0VgF7I8kM) (whohoo! can't wait to be a broke college student). Right now I think the Focal Spirit Classics are my top contenders but I don't know if they are really worth $150 that they have over the NAD VISO HP50 or VMODA M100 crossfades. 

Finally this isn't my first rodeo so let me introduce to the headphone graveyard (cans I already dismissed)

B&O 06
Bowers & Wilkins P7
Mad Dog Pro's
MDR 1R (not the new MDR 1A though) 
Sennheiser Momentum 

Well thanks for the help!

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 5
I'd stay away from the Focal Spirits as the higher frequencies will be causing fatigue way before the bass satisfies you. At least that's how it was for me.

My suggestion is the Pioneer SE-MX9, they are a bit 'Beatsy' to look at but are better made and the bass is just how you want it. These should last you. There's no clear review on Head-Fi so look here -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/pioneer-se-mx9/

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 5
  So I would like to driver these out of a E07k or E17k or similar portable amp/dac. I really want a powerful and defined bass. They would need to have good isolation as I am going to be in a dorm nest year and don't want to disturb/be disturbed. Also since I will be going to college they will be durable and last for years (whohoo! can't wait to be a broke college student). For music I listen too I really need these cans to be geared towards bass heavy music. Now I honestly don't know the extent of what that means so here is a song that I think summarizes the average* bass in music I would listen to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D0VgF7I8kM) (whohoo! can't wait to be a broke college student). Right now I think the Focal Spirit Classics are my top contenders but I don't know if they are really worth $150 that they have over the NAD VISO HP50 or VMODA M100 crossfades. 

Finally this isn't my first rodeo so let me introduce to the headphone graveyard (cans I already dismissed)

B&O 06
Bowers & Wilkins P7
Mad Dog Pro's
MDR 1R (not the new MDR 1A though) 
Sennheiser Momentum 

Well thanks for the help!

Can you go into any detail about what you didn't like about the above cans?

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back