Good Closed-Back Headphones Under $500
May 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NickyaKillah

Head-Fier
I recently fell in love with the sound quality of my AKG Q701s. Now I'm looking for something like it for portable use. I tried the K553 out, thinking they'd be similar, but I was dead wrong. Anyone know anything that sounds similar to the Q701s that's closed-back? I'm thinking of the Sennheiser Momentum (non-2.0) or Oppo PM-3. My current mobile headphones are the well-known (though now infamous) ATH-M50X. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

May 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 8

I'm following this. I also want to know, although I am looking specifically at either the Oppo Pm-3 and the Bower Wilkens P7. 

Also, I can give feedback on the Sennheiser Momentum headphones. 

I own the original version (non-2.0) and have for the past 4 years. They're very good in my opinion, but they are an on-ear type, not over-ear. They are, of course, closed-back. 

Listening to the Sennheiser's are nice, but I think their sound quality is not going to be as good as your AKG Q701s. I also recommend trying to find a pair to listen to for a couple of hours. I know after an hour, the cartilage of my ears start to hurt (physically hurt) since they are pressing right against my ears. This may be different for you, but I do suggest trying them out for an extended period before buying.

I have not yet tried the Oppos, but I am also looking at those as my next headphone, as well as the possibility of the Bower and Wilken's P7.

May 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the Momentum 2.0 Over-ear, and they have incredibly natural tone, with lots of detail and big soundstage. They are a little bassy, while also possessed of good air and separation.

The Oppo PM-3 gets amazing reviews, but I have not heard them myself.

May 9, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 8
You might try asking here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-impressions-thread

I don't need more bass, I have my E18 for that on demand. I just want something similar sounding. Also, I may not need a recommendation anymore, because I'm pretty sure my K553s are defective. Ill try to RMA those, and update later.

May 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't need more bass, I have my E18 for that on demand. I just want something similar sounding. Also, I may not need a recommendation anymore, because I'm pretty sure my K553s are defective. Ill try to RMA those, and update later.

I don't know what you mean by more bass. I was just suggesting you talk with many other Q701 owners in that thread to see what they recommend that is similar to what you are looking for :)

May 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 8
The Talos, a t50rp mod, was just released Sunday May 9th.  It was created by reddit user Mad_Economist and is supposedly comparable to ZMFs omni and blackwoods.  I believe earlier adopters paid $200 but they are now $250.  A good price for a competitive headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back