Good cheap Wifi card for desktop...
May 4, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 12
If you live in the US, call your local DSL or Broadband provider and see if they have a deal for you...

I have Wi-Fi at home and got a great deal from Bell South. They will send you the Wi-Fi modem & the Lap Top card and either exchange it for your current modem for FREE (you have to send back the old modem) or let you pay it in 10 monthly installments.
I have Wi-Fi on my laptop and just sent back the modem card.

Most phone companies will give you a deal. If you can wait, CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc... have year end or holiday sales (next one should be Mother's Day and Memorial Day) where they give you a DEEP discount + rebate. Also, ask if any Head-Fiers are selling theirs. <I know for a fact that there are TONS of Digiheads= Techies, here>.

Try your internet service provider first though. Hope this helps.

BTW, to my knowledge, Lynksys (the one you are looking at is by Sysco Systems and is currently the best one out there...or so I have been told).

May 4, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 12
How far will your PC be from the access point?I ask because some cards will allow you to connect an external antenna to it which will boost your signal like some of the wavelan cards.They will cost more than the options you got so far but it might be something to take into consideration.

May 5, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 12
Well here's the thing... I'm moving into an apartment complex that is offers internet and it's wifi. I don't have a laptop (yet, planning on getting a MacBook Pro when I start school, but that's not til winter), but I wanted to take advantage of the internet with my desktop.

I liked the USB idea because of it's easy setup--install drivers>plug it in (might have to tweak config a little).

May 5, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Well here's the thing... I'm moving into an apartment complex that is offers internet and it's wifi. I don't have a laptop (yet, planning on getting a MacBook Pro when I start school, but that's not til winter), but I wanted to take advantage of the internet with my desktop.

I liked the USB idea because of it's easy setup--install drivers>plug it in (might have to tweak config a little).

The Westell modem Bell South provides is BOTH a wired and wireless router. That is why I have a desktop & a laptop plugged in at the same time.

I think Jahn & Edwood both have like 5 desktops AND laptops via wired and wireless DSL and thus are able to post 10 replies simultaneoulsy...(just kidding, just kidding, touchy...) LOL.

May 5, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

It'll be pretty far.

How far exactly.If there are too many object between you and the acess point there will be a big drop im performance and probably not get connection at all.

May 6, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

With a coffee can and some coax, it's possible to modify just about any wireless adapter for very good range. I have seen a wireless link go for about 10 miles (on a beach) with the help of coffee cans used as high gain antennas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back