Good, Cheap, Thin cable for Headphone Re-Cable?
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rocko1

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a thinnish, lower cost cable for re-cabling my headphones. I would like it to be really flexible. Can someone recommend a brand/type? Thanks.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Iknow this site and its followers are not fans of beats by Dre, and I'm not either. But i just acquired pair
beats executive for a price i couldn't pass on. I'm asking for any help. The 1/8 stereo connector has
been severed. Iam attempting to solder a new connector, but the wire has 5 leads and the only
connector i can get my hands on is a 3 pole stereo connector. Using that connector can i somehow wire
it up sothat the headphones work? Also i believe that these particular ones was a working display
model. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that i could follow?Anything would help, any suggestions
greatly appreciated.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Iknow this site and its followers are not fans of beats by Dre, and I'm not either. But i just acquired pair
beats executive for a price i couldn't pass on. I'm asking for any help. The 1/8 stereo connector has
been severed. Iam attempting to solder a new connector, but the wire has 5 leads and the only
connector i can get my hands on is a 3 pole stereo connector. Using that connector can i somehow wire
it up sothat the headphones work? Also i believe that these particular ones was a working display
model. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that i could follow?Anything would help, any suggestions
greatly appreciated.

I don't know if I have seen such a blatant thread hijack before. Start a new thread if you need help, don't butt into one-it's considered extremely rude and will severely limit your chances for help.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Thats a good Q. I recabled with Mogami W2534, I don't recommend it. 6mm does not sound big, but its fairly stiff and you can hear something moving in the cable when you twist it (like turning your head)

W2893 is smaller, but again not small. Unsure if its much more flexible

Now Mogami is not the only cable out there, but I think you will find similar situations across many cables.

I'm thinking of 2929-00, its <3mm, 4 cores (I'd use 2 cores for the grounds, leave the shield itself disconnected at the can end. Its 28AWG which is technically not as large as you'd want, but I really cant see it being an issue. 

The question will be where to get it. Info on the cable here

You can go down the path of the SPOFC cables, but they are very microphonic. If I connect my headphones to my E17 and press buttons on the E17, I can hear it in the connected cup.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Thats a good Q. I recabled with Mogami W2534, I don't recommend it. 6mm does not sound big, but its fairly stiff and you can hear something moving in the cable when you twist it (like turning your head)

W2893 is smaller, but again not small. Unsure if its much more flexible

Now Mogami is not the only cable out there, but I think you will find similar situations across many cables.

I'm thinking of 2929-00, its <3mm, 4 cores (I'd use 2 cores for the grounds, leave the shield itself disconnected at the can end. Its 28AWG which is technically not as large as you'd want, but I really cant see it being an issue. 

The question will be where to get it. Info on the cable here

You can go down the path of the SPOFC cables, but they are very microphonic. If I connect my headphones to my E17 and press buttons on the E17, I can hear it in the connected cup.

Yes! Thank you. That looks like it's perfect. I was surprised that I don't see more people looking for a decent quality smaller OD cable for headphone rewires. Most mentioned-Canare Star Quad-5 or 6mm just seems huge for a headphone job.

Thanks again.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I used mogami w2893 for an akg k240 re cable. Works great and it's more flexible than you'd think, but I do understand the desire for thinner wires.

Does it feel like it weighs down or impedes the comfort of the headphones?

It looks like most OEM headphone cable is around 3mm. I could live with 4mm, but 5-6 seems huge.

The shipping on a 10' section from most places is just crazy. $13.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Really, I would not recommend W2893. Its too big, it does not like to be twisted and it makes noise through my cans. Really surprised that no one mentions this.

I guess it all depends on application and ergonomics.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 15
Really, I would not recommend W2893. Its too big, it does not like to be twisted and it makes noise through my cans. Really surprised that no one mentions this.

I guess it all depends on application and ergonomics.

I haven't experienced this at all with my 2893 recable (though it is 3.5mm to mini XLR, so more like an interconnect I guess.

OP, check Redco.com. It's the only place I've found so far that sells by the foot and ships priority mail or parcel post. Much cheaper than most places I've found.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Does it feel like it weighs down or impedes the comfort of the headphones?

It looks like most OEM headphone cable is around 3mm. I could live with 4mm, but 5-6 seems huge.

The shipping on a 10' section from most places is just crazy. $13.

Check if an Ebay vendor has the cable you want in a 10' section.  There are quite a few cables out there that are sold in 10' lengths, and the shipping would be nominal.  The $13.00 shipping charge isn't bad if you buy 50' of cable, 4 RCA connectors, 9 TRS connectors.  That is more realistic, based on such an order of more goods, more value.  

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Check if an Ebay vendor has the cable you want in a 10' section.  There are quite a few cables out there that are sold in 10' lengths, and the shipping would be nominal.  The $13.00 shipping charge isn't bad if you buy 50' of cable, 4 RCA connectors, 9 TRS connectors.  That is more realistic, based on such an order of more goods, more value.  

Thanks. Most of what I could find is the thicker star quad. Ill keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back