Good, cheap, portable headphones?
Jan 23, 2005 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I have just recently gotten into the headphone scene, just bought my audiotechnica a900's about a month ago and I love them. Now I'm looking into a portable setup, I have narrowed it down to rio karma or creative nomad zen for the player, but I can't decide on headphones.

They should be fairly cheap, and by cheap I mean ~50 dollars and under. I can maybe work a little bit upwards, but not too much. They need to look reasonably good, nothing too huge or weird looking. I don't really want canal phones, I don't really like the idea of sticking headphones that far into my ear.

I have heard that the sharp md33's are good, but are they canal phones? I can't really tell how far they go into your ear from the pictures. Another thing that I would like is headphones that leak little to no sound. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
Hey guys I have just recently gotten into the headphone scene, just bought my audiotechnica a900's about a month ago and I love them. Now I'm looking into a portable setup, I have narrowed it down to rio karma or creative nomad zen for the player, but I can't decide on headphones.

They should be fairly cheap, and by cheap I mean ~50 dollars and under. I can maybe work a little bit upwards, but not too much. They need to look reasonably good, nothing too huge or weird looking. I don't really want canal phones, I don't really like the idea of sticking headphones that far into my ear.

I have heard that the sharp md33's are good, but are they canal phones? I can't really tell how far they go into your ear from the pictures. Another thing that I would like is headphones that leak little to no sound. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

If theyre anything like my EX51, the depth depends on the size of the tips you use. The small tips go pretty deep IMHO.

If you dont need isolation, KSC75 might fit your needs. I have long-ish hair and with my hair covering 3/4 of my ears they dont look too much different than a conventional headphone.

Garrett

Jan 23, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 12
another vote for the ksc35/75. you should also look into the sennheiser mx*** earbuds. i personally have both mx500 and 550, and both are very good considering what they're worth.

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Yeah I was considering the sennheiser mx series, probably the 500's. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 12
I've got the mx500s and they're great. They're tiny and durable, so I use them most of my portable time. Not to mention they sound damn good for the money, way over my expectations. I lost the foamies real quick though...

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507

smily_headphones1.gif

Good

Cheap

Pick one.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Good

Cheap

Pick one.

Good does not always equal expensive, either. I've heard an astronomically expensive headphone which sounded much, much worse than some headphones which cost 100 times less -- even on high-end equipment.

Although the very cheapest headphones sound bad, as expected.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
another vote for the ksc35/75. you should also look into the sennheiser mx*** earbuds. i personally have both mx500 and 550, and both are very good considering what they're worth.

Which is better though? I figured I don't want inline volume so I was gonna grab either the MX400's or MX450's but I don't know the differences... or where a good place to get them online is since Amazon doesn't have the 50's.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 12
Buying new in that price range for unamped portable use, and excluding canal phones, I like the Sennheiser PX100 best, and the Koss KSC-35 second-best. The Koss has a sonic edge for some kinds of music but I find the Sennheiser more comfortable, and I like its mids a little better. IMO the Sennheiser is also less weird-looking than the KSC-35, but if you have long hair the KSC-35 is potentially more concealable.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 12
Sony MDR-G 74SL

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaineX
Which is better though? I figured I don't want inline volume so I was gonna grab either the MX400's or MX450's but I don't know the differences... or where a good place to get them online is since Amazon doesn't have the 50's.

the mx*50 improves on the previous mx*00 by focusing more on the details, especially the highs. the bass isnt as pronounced as before, but feels much cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back