good cheap passive preamp?
Aug 16, 2001 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Neruda

Banned Moderator
this is sooo pointless, but I thought I'd do it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
. What are some decent passive preamps for under $400? I'd just like a couple of names, and I'm having a hell of the time finding them myself. I saw the Antique Sound Labs Passive TI, but haven't found any good info on it. What are some other ideas?

Aug 16, 2001 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Geez man, I wouldn't have thought I'd need to tell you this... use the search feature "coughONAUDIOASYLUMcough".
tongue.gif
wink.gif

- FT Audio LW-1
- McCormick MicroLineDrive
- Creek OBH10

Just a few of the names that showed up...

Aug 16, 2001 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 12
If it makes you feel any better, right after I posted the AudioAsylum bit, I promptly dumped a packet of parmesan cheese over the kitchen floor because I forgot I had already opened it... doh!
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
If it makes you feel any better, right after I posted the AudioAsylum bit, I promptly dumped a packet of parmesan cheese over the kitchen floor because I forgot I had already opened it... doh!
redface.gif

LOL! Have a dog? My dogs woulda been in heaven.

wink.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Nah, no dog. Used to have a Cocker Spaniel when I was a kid. There's not really any room for a big pet in my apartment.
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 12
man, my dog loves parmesan cheese. and cheddar cheese, and fetta cheese, and provolone cheese...good lord, is that all she eats? No wonder her food costs so much!
eek.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Passive preamp? Your going to BUY a passive preamp! Neruda, buddy, thats the easyiest thing to build in the entire audio world. We need to talk. But first, I want you to visit this web site.
Look at the current stock. You may find what you want.
http://www.echohifi.com

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Neruda , you REALLY need to crank up the soldering iron

all passive parts means you would have to intentionally screw up for this to come out badly

1-input and output jacks
2-input select rotary switch
3-pot or stepper
4-box or even two panels (front and rear) separated by standoffs

wire the sucker up with cat-5 and DONE !

you want fancy ? Wrap the bitch in a wood cabinet
wink.gif

three pieces of pine ,stain,poly,sand,poly,sand-DONE

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 12
Passive preamp? Your going to BUY a passive preamp! Neruda, buddy, thats the easyiest thing to build in the entire audio world. We need to talk. But first, I want you to visit this web site.
Look at the current stock. You may find what you want.
http://www.echohifi.com
Neruda , you REALLY need to crank up the soldering iron

all passive parts means you would have to intentionally screw up for this to come out badly

1-input and output jacks
2-input select rotary switch
3-pot or stepper
4-box or even two panels (front and rear) separated by standoffs

wire the sucker up with cat-5 and DONE !

you want fancy ? Wrap the bitch in a wood cabinet
wink.gif

three pieces of pine ,stain,poly,sand,poly,sand-DONE
I mean it's great that alot of people have a passion for making their own DIY volume attenuators, but why couldn't there be more high quality mid budget volume controllers as an end product like what luminous audio, or hattor audio is producing, or even Transformer Volume Controllers like promitheus audio is doing? I'm in the hunt, and do you guys know of really high quality recommendations with XLR connections? I really don't want to fall for stuff like what tortuga or even First Music Audio sells (were talking $6K for a volume attenuator). I'm just not getting the huge DIY methodology when I would not mind spending $500 for something that is high quality and has a nice finished -- problem is I can't find many around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back