good cheap mp3 player with app market
May 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 8
You could look at the Samsung Galaxy S players (not phones). They are similar type of product to iPod Touch or the now discontinued Archos Generation 8 players.

You get Android and Google market and all the usual features of a small Android device. You can also install Rockbox as an application.

They are a lot cheaper than Sony Walkman but can cost more than Apple iPod Touch depending on capacity. The Samsung players are expandable via microSDHC card slot. I have no idea about the sound quality of the default player(s) or hardware.

Another option is to get a cheap Android phone but battery life is never that great compared to a dedicated player. I know it's different in different markets but here in UK you can get pay-as-you-go handsets that are very cheap as they are locked to a network. There's no contract or monthly charge so conceivably you could pick up a pretty decent ZTE or Huawei phone for not much money and never incur a charge on it while you use it as a wifi and music device.

May 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 8
I've had the Galaxy Player 5.0 for quite a while now. It's the best of my current players (Samsung YP-R0, Galaxy Player 5.0, Archos 605 Wi-Fi) in terms of SQ. I unfortunately don't have a good DAP to compare it to, unfortunately, but if all you've owned are things like iPod Nano, you'll find a Galaxy Player to be a very competent device. You can probably find a 3.6 (note: the number refers ONLY to the screen size, so a 5.0 is larger than a 3.6, not better) on the cheap somewhere. Else, try looking at some of Cowon's and Archos's Android offerings.

May 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I've had the Galaxy Player 5.0 for quite a while now. It's the best of my current players (Samsung YP-R0, Galaxy Player 5.0, Archos 605 Wi-Fi) in terms of SQ. I unfortunately don't have a good DAP to compare it to, unfortunately, but if all you've owned are things like iPod Nano, you'll find a Galaxy Player to be a very competent device. You can probably find a 3.6 (note: the number refers ONLY to the screen size, so a 5.0 is larger than a 3.6, not better) on the cheap somewhere. Else, try looking at some of Cowon's and Archos's Android offerings.

I have the 5.0 and it is a decent sounding player. Great battery life for audio, if you keep the screen off most of the time. It's also a nice portable video player as well....install MX Player from the Google Play store, and it will play most any format. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back