Good Cheap Eats in Chicago?
Aug 28, 2007 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mrplow

100+ Head-Fier
Spending Labor Day weekend in Chicago this year. Any recommendations on *good* cheap eats in the area? I'll be staying on the Magnificent Mile, but am open to other parts of the city too.

mrplow

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 18
http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html

Under the Magnificent Mile right near the Wrigley building, former mobster / journalist hangout immortalized in the late 70's SNL skits
smily_headphones1.gif

Other than that my fav area is Lakeview / Wrigleyville. If you eat veggie stuff the Pick Me Up cafe on Clark is one of my favs and quite cheap, and there's a famous hot dog stand around there where the employees will scream obscenities at you if you go in late at night (more fun than it sounds, trust me). PotBellies is a good sandwich shop with a few locations downtown that's worth checking out.

Haven't lived in the city since 2001 though, but last time I visited all those places were still around.

--Illah

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 18
There a number of smaller restaurants on the north side of Chicago Avenue, west of Rush, for a few blocks. Cheaper, I am sure, quality......unsure.

I only know this because I live in the south suburbs with two daughters and am thus expected to chauffeur them as required to American Girl Place a block east or so every once in a while, and we pass those restaurants on the way from the parking garage over there.

Be sure to do some window shopping at the Bentley dealer a half-block north of Chicago on Rush if you get over that way. Actually Bentleys are in the minority there....they also sell new Saleens, Lambos, Bugattis, and seemed to have as many used exotics of other makers, too.

Try PM'ing randyruiz.......I think he still lives in the John Hancock Center a couple of blocks away and might know if any of those are good, or Billy (bhd812)--either of them would probably direct you to the best choices.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 18
cheap eats?

good bet is anything open 24/7 or is a hotdog stand.
Golden Nugget restaurant on clark is a nice choice.
White palace on Roosevelt is not cheap but its damn good (further south).
Manny's a few blocks down from WP is not cheap cheap but omg the Cornbeef sandwich is HUGE!!! and I mean big! you could live off it for days.

if your going to have a car then check out Gene and Judes hotdog stand and also Johnnies beef. also there is Superdawg rite by Wrigley. I love hotdogs!

also if you have a car and time check out Rolling stones Cd music store on irving or the Green Mill Jazz Club to see Patricia Barber play for $7.00 cover...

if you want really Cheap then hit up a Throntons gas station and get 2 for a dollar hotdogs...what?
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta give Pizzaria Due's a visit. Some of the best pizza on the planet.

x2, also Uno's, right near Dues. Then of course there's Gino's East.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 18
You've GOT to try the Descartes Cafe on Michigan Av. But then I would say that.... But really, the coffee is pretty good.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love hotdogs!

Maybe a good thing, you can save food money and put it toward watches.

But this I cannot understand: hot dogs are fattening, Billy, so how do you stay so scrawny?????

j/k.

[For those of you who have not met him, and I have to say I have only had that pleasure once, Billy is sort of a "life of the party" guy. Right?]

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 18
One of the things I miss most about St. Louis since I moved to Austin 3 years ago is, ironically, Chicago. The random weekend trips to Chicago just don't happen every 3-6 months like they used to.

I second Geno's East... amazing how cheap it is to buy Pizzas when one fills 4 people. BillyGoatTavern is also a classic. I'm also a fan of Pho 777 if you like vietnamese and Sticky Rice Thai.

Other places to try for some cheap bar food are the pubs/bars...

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 18
Lou Malnati's is my favorite Chicago pizzeria. I think there is a downtown location, but not positive.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Giordano's!

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...3283&z=15&om=1

At least the one in the north suburbs is excellent, I'm not sure about every location. Edwardo's is also good:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=edwardo's&near=Chicago,+IL&fb=1&ll=41.893652 ,-87.62558&spn=0.051368,0.06566&z=14&om=1

But really, any of the deep dish pizzas would be good, can't believe I forgot those.

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back