Good CDP/Universal player?DAC for under $500
Jun 11, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 31
I'm assuming the Piccolo lacks coaxial input because it's intended to be used as a portable DAC. I've also heard from several people here that optical digital connections reduce jitter, but I can't confirm that myself.

- Chris

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 31
taylor: Are you sure you can get the Arcam 73 for the same price as the Cambridge 640C? Here in Sweden the Arcam costs almost twice as much and since both companies are based in UK I would expect the difference in price would be rather similar in the US.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
There's a CD73T here on Audiogon for $525 though there is a sale pending. You can get them at this price, though.

I was thinking about how much these cost new, as most of the options mentioned would cost considerably less used too.

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMC
I was thinking about how much these cost new, as most of the options mentioned would cost considerably less used too.

No, they're $700 RRP but I'd definately go the used route if $500 was max.

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

And for sources with coaxial digital outputs only, this really good-sounding coax-to-optical converter can be had for a mere $17 ($22 with shipping):

Converting coax to optical for the digital outs seems to me a possible introduction of more timing errors. Unless you only have optical ins, I would stick to the coax connection directly instead of transforming it to optical.

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I tried to find some info on it, but it seems to be discontinued and not too easy to find, which is why I didn't include it on my list.

Any reccomendations for what to do if I can't find one?

Besides being hard to find and discontinued, the SCD555ES looks like a great player. I'd like to have a shuffle, especially one that shuffles between the 5 CDs in it.

Two 555's just went on the 'Gon. One for $639 and the other for $600. Both claimed 9/10 ratings. I also noted that there were some listings under the "wanted" section and a couple had offers to sell.

On a related note, there's a NAD 542 listed for $260 that looks to be a good buy on the 'Gon as well. Good luck. Know how you feel.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 31
The AOS DAC is excellent. In fact, I have been to AOS' place, and we did some comparisons, and I left with a great impression of the Piccolo DAC. It's not only very well made, it sounds awesome. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Trevor

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 31
$600 is more than I wanted to spend. What about the SCD-222ES, SCD-CE775, or SCD-333ES?

I'm just unsure of buying a $600 CDP, since if I bought that, it would be quite awhile before I can get HD600s. And I doubt the $600 CDP would sound much better than the NEC 3XP if I just have my V6s and vintage reviever.

What about getting a DacKit for now, then getting the HD600s that Rhizome has offered me a great deal on. Then getting a Gilmore amp for the HD600s. Then I can start saving up for a truly high-end source, such as a modded 555ES, Jolida CDP, Musichall CD25, Arcam FMJ, used Meridian or Wadia, et cetera.

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #25 of 31
I e-mailed AOS earilier today. he said there was a new Piccolo PCB that has an option for coax. Since the Piccolo has a great reputation, is under $250, and will not require a converter, I think I might wait until he starts making them on the new PCB then get one.

Here's what I think I might do:
Buy the HD600s within the next week.
Get a decent amp.
Get the new Piccolo when it arrives.

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 31
Taylor:

Sounds like a great idea. The Piccolo is an excellent DAC, you'll be very pleased with it. I am currently listening to HD600's, and have owned almost everything (Check my profile), I can tell you the HD600 are excellent headphones. They will respond to upgrades very well. They sound great out of any half decent source. My 3G iPod drives them quite nicely actually. Mind you, my hardcore (92V P-P) valve amplifier drives them -really- well.
biggrin.gif

Trevor

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Taylor:

Sounds like a great idea. The Piccolo is an excellent DAC, you'll be very pleased with it. I am currently listening to HD600's, and have owned almost everything (Check my profile), I can tell you the HD600 are excellent headphones. They will respond to upgrades very well. They sound great out of any half decent source. My 3G iPod drives them quite nicely actually. Mind you, my hardcore (92V P-P) valve amplifier drives them -really- well.
biggrin.gif

Trevor

Yeah, the Piccolo looks like an awesome deal. Sounds as good as the $500 modded DI/O, but has a low enough price that I will be able to afford HD600s. I'm just waiting for the new version to be available, then I will probably buy one.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #30 of 31
Will the new Piccolo have both as inputs or a choice of one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back