Good CD Stores in Toronto...need help.
Nov 12, 2004 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NacMacFeegle

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'll be heading to Toronto this weekend for the big squash tournament and would like to do some browsing in some good music stores when I have free time...I know of the big HMV on Yonge St, but would rather be pointed in the direction of a more independant type store or stores.Got to be close to the city center (Yonge St) area as thats where we are based and I won't have a car.
Any advice would be appreciated...My interests lie in the Celtic/World/Electronica areas so a shop that would stock-say-Mocean Worker is the kind of place I'm looking for...
Thanks all,

-Nac...

Nov 12, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle
Hi All,
I'll be heading to Toronto this weekend for the big squash tournament and would like to do some browsing in some good music stores when I have free time...I know of the big HMV on Yonge St, but would rather be pointed in the direction of a more independant type store or stores.Got to be close to the city center (Yonge St) area as thats where we are based and I won't have a car.
Any advice would be appreciated...My interests lie in the Celtic/World/Electronica areas so a shop that would stock-say-Mocean Worker is the kind of place I'm looking for...
Thanks all,

-Nac...

http://samscd.com/ - there is a SamTheRecordMan store just down the road from the big HMV store. good selection. long hours.

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 13
'rotate this' is awesome for hard to find music... it is at queen & bathurst

'sonic boom' at bloor & bathurst is huge and has a very large selection of used CD's... I think they are open 24/7 as well
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
'rotate this' is awesome for hard to find music... it is at queen & bathurst

Yeah, I heard from a friend that that store has a lot of good rare CDs. Probably would be worth checking out.

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 13
its a truely evil store... I cant walk in and not spend at least $100
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I think they are open 24/7 as well
eek.gif

Wow, nice. Its good to know that in at least one respect the nomiker "Bore-onto" is unjustified.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Toronto is a great city if you enjoy music and the arts... it might be boring to someone that is dead inside however.
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle
Thanks for the tips guys...'Rotate This' seems to be the place to go...Guess I'll hit the bank here before I leave.

-Nac...

Well then, Nac, what'd you pick up over the weekend? Is your wallet a few bucks lighter? How'd you like the stores in Toronto?

ps How was the squash tournament?

pps Can't believe I wasted my 200th post on this
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I went to sonic boom last night... bought some CD's, posted them in the new CD's thread... I bought the special cases single for MA, only to realize that I already have it... I thought I had butterfly caught
frown.gif

Oh well, the one I bought at sonic boom seems to be a different pre release version or something, kinda cool I guess. I'll just have to sell off the vanilla one some time.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Rotate This is probably your best bet for good music in Toronto. Metropolis Records, at Queen & Spadina (I think...) is great if you're a DJ or into electronic music. Electron Music (on Queen, near Sanko Trading Co., Toronto's best Japanese grocer) is good for IDM and rare electronic music. They sometimes have some great gems in the used section.

Of course, Toronto cannot compare at all to San Francisco when it comes to music stores. Ahhh.... I can't wait to go back home just so I can go record shopping....

- Chris

Nov 15, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 13
Edward's Record World just a few stores north on the north east corner of Yonge & Eglinton have good prices and selection.

And a few stores north of that Vortex Records have a very large selection of used CDs, vinyl, DVDs, etc. It is a store above another store so look up as you walk but don't trip over small dogs, then climb the creaky stairs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edward's Record World
2283 Yonge
Phone (416) 489-1144

Vortex Records
2309 Yonge
Phone (416) 483-7437

Nov 16, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, thanks all for the tips....I had a great time in your city-my favorite one to visit-and spent too little time browsing...did get some new stuff though.
The squash was jaw dropping...the guys that play at that level are so fast it's unreal...and we only got to watch the Q rounds and then the top half of the main draw...If any of you that live there work near the BCE place that is where the all glass court is set up...Go and watch them just practise...simply amazing. All in all a great weekend..Can't wait to go back.

-Nac...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back