Good cd player for under $500
Feb 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HPiper

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't see much mention of cd players on here but I am assuming that is what most people are listening to. I have a very old cdplayer that still works quite well, or at least I think it does, but was wondering if it would be worth it to get a new one? I am thinking that technology being what it is, I would probably be getting a much better transport and dac than what is in the unit I have now. Looking to see what cd players you might suggest for around $500 or less.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I don't see much mention of cd players on here but I am assuming that is what most people are listening to. I have a very old cdplayer that still works quite well, or at least I think it does, but was wondering if it would be worth it to get a new one? I am thinking that technology being what it is, I would probably be getting a much better transport and dac than what is in the unit I have now. Looking to see what cd players you might suggest for around $500 or less.

I haven't any experience with it, but good things have been written about the Emotiva ERC-2. Priced at $449.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 6
I am very happy with my NAD C515BEE. It has all of the warmth that was missing for the more expensive Onkyo I had previously.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your reply, that does look like an excellent unit. The only other player I looked at that seemed like it might be pretty good was a  Cambridge Audio unit model CD-10. Anybody heard one of those units who can comment on it?

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
The only other player I looked at that seemed like it might be pretty good was a  Cambridge Audio unit model CD-10. Anybody heard one of those units who can comment on it?

Not the CD10, but I got to listen to the 640C and 5xxC recently, and the sound was weird for headphone use - the drums are way too forward. Never observed that with the 840C and 740C though. I wouldn't scratch it off the list completely but I wouldn't buy it deaf (ie, "blind," without listening to it first) unless it's way cheaper than the Emotiva. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back