Good CD-P for under 200€?
Jul 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

The Dark Shadow

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking at buying a Sony BDP-S370 right now and I was thinking if I would have better sound quality by getting just a CD-P instead of a multi-format player.

I will also going to use this thru an amp and this will be used as a bed-side/starter cd player, for my main listening I will either use my pc or a turntable.

Thank you for your help!

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 7
For a bedside player the necessity for switching out discs, plus the bulk, might make using a standard CDPlayer (or universal disc player) problematic, given you have other options. I use an old Marantz CD60 but that's because I had it in my main rig before I got into using headphones, but if I didn't and I needed a bedside rig now, there are lots of other options.

For about $400 and assuming you already have an iTouch or iPhone, there's the Pure i20 digital dock, and you can pair this with an Ibasso D12 with the former sending out digital signals to the other. Or if the CS4392 on the Pure i20 is enough for you, you can just spend $99 on that and then about $150 on a Little Dot 1+ hybrid tube amp. Or you can get the QLS QA350 for $200 and maybe you might be content not using a separate amp and DAC.

If you can wait for the Fiio X3 though, it's a lot like the QA350 in a pocketable (not to mention more fashionable, less-DIY looking) form factor; both use the WM8740 used by many standard size CDplayers. In case you need an amp that has the grunt of the LD 1+, you can dock the X3 onto the E9, or if you prefer, use a DAC+Amp or separate DAC and amp. In any case depending on the size of any DAC and amp you will use these will typically use less space, just be careful about falling asleep wearing the headphones as these are light enough to get dragged off the table.

---

Although if you really prefer the traditional CDPs, I'd recommend Marantz. The headphone drivers are decent enough. Tascams are good too and they don't look too "pro", ie, bright buttons that are easy to find in studios or concerts are an eyesore at home.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking at buying a Sony BDP-S370 right now and I was thinking if I would have better sound quality by getting just a CD-P instead of a multi-format player.

I will also going to use this thru an amp and this will be used as a bed-side/starter cd player, for my main listening I will either use my pc or a turntable.

Thank you for your help!

The old single disc CD player is kind of a thing of the past while the muli-format player is a bit of a slowfull PITA. A professional player like the TASCAM CD-200 might be what you are looking for with it's top quality transport and quick bullet proof response time. You can also bring it's sound quality to state of the art with a modern top quality DAC with an ES9018 chip.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
For a bedside player the necessity for switching out discs, plus the bulk, might make using a standard CDPlayer (or universal disc player) problematic, given you have other options. I use an old Marantz CD60 but that's because I had it in my main rig before I got into using headphones, but if I didn't and I needed a bedside rig now, there are lots of other options.

For about $400 and assuming you already have an iTouch or iPhone, there's the Pure i20 digital dock, and you can pair this with an Ibasso D12 with the former sending out digital signals to the other. Or if the CS4392 on the Pure i20 is enough for you, you can just spend $99 on that and then about $150 on a Little Dot 1+ hybrid tube amp. Or you can get the QLS QA350 for $200 and maybe you might be content not using a separate amp and DAC.

If you can wait for the Fiio X3 though, it's a lot like the QA350 in a pocketable (not to mention more fashionable, less-DIY looking) form factor; both use the WM8740 used by many standard size CDplayers. In case you need an amp that has the grunt of the LD 1+, you can dock the X3 onto the E9, or if you prefer, use a DAC+Amp or separate DAC and amp. In any case depending on the size of any DAC and amp you will use these will typically use less space, just be careful about falling asleep wearing the headphones as these are light enough to get dragged off the table.

---

Although if you really prefer the traditional CDPs, I'd recommend Marantz. The headphone drivers are decent enough. Tascams are good too and they don't look too "pro", ie, bright buttons that are easy to find in studios or concerts are an eyesore at home.

Thanks for your answer, I did check the QA350 while searching before opening this thread and It's kinda interesting but I couldn't find it in my price range, maybe in the US but it will cost more in the end if you add taxes and shipping.

By the way the size is not a problem and I don't mind switching CDs.

I don't have neither an iTouch nor an iPhone, I use a HTC HD2 right now and I'd happily ditch something that portable for better sound quality and something with a remote, also something that can be upgraded with an external DAC in the future might not be too bad.

I already have an amp which is pretty big so no risk of dragging stuff around, well I usually don't fall asleep too easily anyway. :p

You could say I like overkill but I indeed prefer a full sized CD player, I had enough of portable players for now, I would use the turntable if it had the convenience of track skipping of a CD.

Quote:
The old single disc CD player is kind of a thing of the past while the muli-format player is a bit of a slowfull PITA. A professional player like the TASCAM CD-200 might be what you are looking for with it's top quality transport and quick bullet proof response time. You can also bring it's sound quality to state of the art with a modern top quality DAC with an ES9018 chip.

It's a bit out of my price range unfortunately, what about a Marantz CD5004?

Thanks again!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Marantz CD5004 is an outstanding CDP sonically as well as aesthetically. Just go for it :)

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I noticed that Amazon has the Marantz CD 5004 @ $349 and the TASACM CD-200 @ $249. The TASCAM has a great transport. I actually do own the older Marantz CD-5002. This unit sounds edgy with missing detail and the transport makes noise. I hope that the CD 5004 is a better unit. Just the same, I would take the TASCAM CD-200 over the Marantz even at the same price.

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I noticed that Amazon has the Marantz CD 5004 @ $349 and the TASACM CD-200 @ $249. The TASCAM has a great transport. I actually do own the older Marantz CD-5002. This unit sounds edgy with missing detail and the transport makes noise. I hope that the CD 5004 is a better unit. Just the same, I would take the TASCAM CD-200 over the Marantz even at the same price.

The problem is it's Amazon US, here in europe they both cost a lot more, I think I will get the Sony BDP-S370 just to get started an in a couple of months I will get something better.

I mean the Sony should be better then my phone as far as sound quality goes, at least I hope so. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back