Good CD Deck Closes the Vinyl/CD Gap?
Nov 23, 2004 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
After listening to my new Rotel RCD-02 CD deck, I noticed right away that my CD's sound a lot closer to vinyl---in terms of how good the sound is. Yeah, a good vinyl pressing is still much better than any CD through the Rotel...but the difference is no longer as huge for me.

I will always love vinyl, but the age-old problem remains: Wear & tear. No matter how well you clean your vinyl, it still wears out a little during each playback. Recording them to CD doesn't restore them, either, because once vinyl is digitized, just about any CD version of the disc will sound better than a vinyl->CD-R transfer. So, live vinyl playback is the only way to fully enjoy the medium.

Am I missing something? Is there any possible way to not wear out vinyl through repeated playbacks? Turntables and good vinyl pressings will always be the ultimate hifi experience for me, but I get sad in thinking that my records will someday show plenty of wear & tear (through pops and clicks).

Any thoughts from other vinyl lovers?

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe there's a TT that use a laser to read the groove. I'm sure another member will look up that thread.
280smile.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I believe there's a TT that use a laser to read the groove. I'm sure another member will look up that thread.
280smile.gif

Yeah, I read that thread. Not interested...although it sure would solve some problems if the sound was up to par!

I'm more curious about good cd players vs. vinyl OR better ways to cut down on wear & tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back