Good car subwoofer amp?
Nov 28, 2004 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DrewWinters

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a little 10" sub in my Jeep - it sounds fantastic! Very natural, very tight. I've got a large Class AB subwoofer amp powering it. I haven't used any other amps with this setup to compare - but I would guess that a significant amount of its fidelity comes from the high quality of the amp. Both amp and sub are Audiobahn.

Well.... I bought a Cherokee cause I wanted off-road capability and cargo room (I have to haul alot of stuff around). I need my cargo space back and the sub and amp are too vulnerable to my gear offroad. So my little friend has got to go somewhere else.... I can build an enclosure into the side of Jeep and lose virtually no cargo room and keep the sub protected from my gear when I'm offroad.... but the amp is huge! (The price you pay for a 500+ watt Class A/B amp I suppose) and I can't find anywhere to hide it away.

So, my question: I need a small, hifi one-channel amp for my sub. The only place I've got to fit it is underneath the passenger seat. Rough limit on dimensions: 2.25"x9.5"x14" give or take - less is more.

I haven't a clue where to look for ideas - to be honest, I don't trust the opinions I could get on a car audio forum because most car audio folks haven't a clue about sound quality (I know they exist, but how do I know who they are?)

I found a great deal on a Hifonics amp at "the Zeb", but its class D... Can any class D amp sound good? I'm a little frustrated because my "temporary" solution has now lasted nearly 3 years. I want my space back, but I sure do like the way this little guy sounds. Surely someone here knows of a good car amp, eh? TIA

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 7
The new tripath digital amps are modifications to class D. Sometimes called class T, sometimes just called tripath. Blaupunkt has some. There used to be some on closeout on overstock and ebay and the like but I don't know about now, and they were very affordable and had the tripath sound that everyone likes.

I'm not sure on the size, but I don't think they are particularly big by nature.

Nov 29, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 7
try to find a Memphis Audio ST500D or ST1000D - both should fit, and will drive 500 or 1000w respectively - I had the 500 pushing into a Fosgate 12 in my BMW. Good.

Mark in Canada

Dec 1, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 7
www.sounddomain.com will help you more than these forums will
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 7
on my wife's car - we have a zapco amp driving an ADS 12 inch sub -

on my car that i sold - i have a KIcker zr360 driving a crystal CMP 10 inch sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back