Good Cans
Feb 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oca

New Head-Fier
I've been wanting to get some new headphones recently, and up until now have only used IEM's, which i find are now getting quite uncomfortable.

-spend anything up to $250 USD
-decent enough sound isolation as i catch the bus regularly
-over the ears
-something comfortable, very comfortable
-portability an issue
-will be wearing for hours at a time
-Music: alternative; anything from Architecture in Helsinki to The Spinto Band

ive been looking at the ultrasone hfi-780's and they are tweaking my interest, also i may be able to get a hold of some ultrasone hfi-650's that are discontinued

all thoughts and comments welcomed, please help!

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 9
thank you for the input!

in regards to the westones, i wasnt looking for an IEM, thanks anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 9
I picked up the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 about 3 weeks ago and have been pretty happy with them.

sound wise, they are muffled out of the box but after 30h or so of burn-in time they began to sound sharp and detailed considering they are closed. was quite surprise by them as they sound just as good as my old but excellent, open sennheiser hd590s.

isolation is decent but does not block out and hide as much sound as my UE IEMs, but your preference of music wont be subject to criticism on the bus.

they fold very nicely and can be pushed well by my sansa clip. i find myself leaving my portable headphone amp at home with this combo.

in terms of comfort, they were pretty tight when i got them. i have been stretching them out by placing them over a pillow and they don't feel like i am placing my head in a vise anymore. the earpads are (p)leather(?) so can get pretty warm after extended time. i can definitely wear them traversing the london underground, but my HD590s are way more comfortable and i prefer those when at home.

yet for the price i can recommend them fully! the only reservation i have was that i wish i got the straight cable instead of the coiled one.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, sounds like the ESW9 (used if possible) meets many of your criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back