Good cans....lousy recordings...what to do?
Sep 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Desertway

Head-Fier
I listen largely to classical and jazz. Most of my classical collection is relatively hi-fi. But much of my jazz is vintage recordings, like live mono sessions from the 30's or 40's.

For these recordings, my MS1's are lousy. My KSC-75's and Portapros are better. However, I am not the kind of listener who wants to keep switching phones depending on the tune. I am thinking of getting AD700s because they will be better for classical listening, but I'm wondering if they will help with these ancient recordings.

If not, are there any suggestions for more generous phones that would not compromise the sq of the better stuff? Or is it always, the better the phones, the worse my vintage tunes will sound?

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 8
what are you listening on? is it analogue or digital?

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Vinyl, CD or Files?

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Sounds like you need some hardware equalizer perhaps?

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 8
It depends. When I rip my own it is mp3 320 cbr. If downloaded, less. But we are talking about not-remastered recordings that are just lousy - even on the original vinyl. The technology (or money) just wasn't there for fine recording live in clubs in the 30's/40's/50's.

Check on my own for portable eq's. It does not look like an answer.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Get a very undetailed and forgiving headphone, recessed highs to take some of the hiss and buzz away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back