Good cans for sleeping with?
Aug 23, 2006 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I know... its a funny question. I used to wear my HD497's to sleep all the time, before I made the jump and got some good cans. Now that I have 225's, I just cant wear them to bed. THey make me want to get up and listen to the Grados. I dont want to wear the 225's to bed though. They seem more fragile, and id be so pissed if any harm came upon them. Also, they are a little uncomfortable for the sleep enviroment.

So, I need something else. I was thinking perhpas a pair of HD555's. I dont want to break the bank, but I want something that will sound decent. They also look nicely comfortable, and study enough that should should be able to handle a bit of rolling around and every once and a while survive the 3' drop to my floor, should they fall off the bed. I have shaggy carpet, so they would have decent padding to fall onto
smily_headphones1.gif

So, anyone have some input on how these would do? Or is there another reccomendation in the $100-$150 range?

EDIT: Also, I do have a PA2V2 I would be using to drive them, if that changes anyones mind.

Aug 23, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 32
HD555 are an excellent idea. Not overly expensive and supremely comfortable. Plus, if you don't have access to an amp in bed, they drive mostly well (modest 120 ohms I believe). The only reservation I have is the clamping force of the design. I don't mind at all but to sleep with pressure at the temples and jaw like that... might be something to take into consideration.

And Duggeh, bless your heart. "Ewa" good man.

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
HD555 are an excellent idea. Not overly expensive and supremely comfortable. Plus, if you don't have access to an amp in bed, they drive mostly well (modest 120 ohms I believe). The only reservation I have is the clamping force of the design. I don't mind at all but to sleep with pressure at the temples and jaw like that... might be something to take into consideration.

And Duggeh, bless your heart. "Ewa" good man.

I have a PA2V2 that I could use them with. Not the best, but until I can afford a better amp, it gets the job done.

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Bah, if you already have the PA2V2, stick with it. It would drive the 555 perfectly for the presumably low volumes you'd use at night.

I don't plan to get rid it the PA2V2. One day, im gunna save up for a nice mp3 player, some decent IEMs, and then use the PA2V2 for that, and get a new amp for desktop use. For now though, the PA2V2 does the trick.

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Another concern of mine that I just now thought of... I wonder if open cans are going to be a problem or not. I know with the cans I have now, if I cover the opening on my 225, it has a huge negative sound impact. Is this something that will affect all open cans as much as it does these? Normally, I should think its not an issue, but if I roll over... I don't want it to fubar the sound. Typically, I sleep on my back, but I don't want to have to necessarly limit myself to that to keep the sound from getting all wonky. Closed cans would of course be a solution, but i'd like to avoid that route. If comparing my A700 to my 225 is any comparison, open is much better for my music tastes.

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 32
I used to fall asleep with my HD497s on too, but I've upgraded to HD555s for college this year, and I've found they're very comfortable to fall asleep to and they're very durable as well. I highly recommend them!

Aug 23, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by awu_gigabyte
Closed cans are very bad for sleeping with. Don't do it! You'll never heard the fire alarm.
blink.gif

And I was gonna suggest IEMs....
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back