Good Cans for Kids
Nov 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RCBinTN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello -
I am shopping for headphones for my grand daughter, age 11.  I would appreciate comments about a good sounding, good value pair at the price of $150-250.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards,
RCBinTN

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 7
What does she have to use to play her headphones? And do you happen to know what kind of music she likes?

Hello -
She has an iPod classic for music and a Nintendo DS for games.  No amps or DACs in between.  Her music is new kid's stuff like Disney and Justin Bieber.  Not bass-heavy rap or hip hop.  I would prefer cans with a relatively flat response curve so we've steered away from Beats.  The two we identified so far are Bose OE2 and Sennheiser Momentum on-ear.

Thanks for your help - RCBinTN.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Why not a pair of ATH-M50 with the coiled cords? They have a little bass emphasis, but are no means a bass heavy can. Good all around headphones. They also make a red pair, which I would think a girl might like. Nice, bright coloring to compare with the other, more popular, crappy expensive headphones that are out there. And they are a pretty hardy construction, IMO, which would be one of the biggest factors in my decision making, given my experience with my middle school aged son. The more durable, the better at that age. LOL

Wait on something like the Sennheiser Momentums for a gift a few years from now, once she develops even more discriminating tastes. Gives you somewhere to go next with an upgrade. Otherwise, she might be wanting HD650s by then :wink:

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 7
I forgot. Here's the white M50 pair, which a girl might like as well. Certainly red or white would be more appealing than standard grey/black colored headphones. How they look is as important to a kid at that age (and older) as how they sound.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Why not a pair of ATH-M50 with the coiled cords? They have a little bass emphasis, but are no means a bass heavy can. Good all around headphones. They also make a red pair, which I would think a girl might like. Nice, bright coloring to compare with the other, more popular, crappy expensive headphones that are out there. And they are a pretty hardy construction, IMO, which would be one of the biggest factors in my decision making, given my experience with my middle school aged son. The more durable, the better at that age. LOL

Wait on something like the Sennheiser Momentums for a gift a few years from now, once she develops even more discriminating tastes. Gives you somewhere to go next with an upgrade. Otherwise, she might be wanting HD650s by then
wink.gif

We decided, after your recommendation, to go with the white ATH-M50 with the coiled cord.  Looks like an awesome can with good specs and many great reviews.  I can't wait to hear how they sound :).

Thanks for your great ideas.  I'm sure she will love them.

All the best -
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back