Good cable wireless router?
Jun 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
I was looking into strong routers.
In our house we have 3 PC's which out of all 3 only 1 runs on a N Card. 
I was looking at the:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-BR-6574N-Gigabit-Broadband-Router/dp/B001AIRPOA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems to be good value for money.
Although would like some suggestions.

I currently have:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Belkin_Wireless_G_Plus_MIMO_Router_Wireless_router__6634439

Looking for something better, as in my house our signal isn't very good with it.

Especially upstairs.

What would you guys suggest?

I have read a bit about other routers out there, but edimax seems to be a good bet. Especially seeing as my wireless card is an edimax one too. 

Thanks,
Dubbed

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 22
Jun 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
I've been through several routers, just replaced mine a few months back with this one http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT610N-Simultaneous-Dual-N-Wireless/dp/B001AZ01EO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275487741&sr=8-9

It does EVERYTHING very well! I love the simultaneous dual band feature, I put my XBOX and Wii on one side and all my computers on the other. That way I can stream Netflix without killing file transfers. Its a bit pricey but well worth it IMO.

Seems a bit too pricy for my needs :)

What is the difference with getting dual band or not?

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 22
I just purchased an Asus N12 (b/g/n). It's not Gigabit, but the signal strength itself is pretty strong once you flash the firmware to DD-WRT. My router is in my bedroom, which is on the third of fourth floor of our apartment building. I can get a clean signal with my iphone from inside my car. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I just purchased an Asus N12 (b/g/n). It's not Gigabit, but the signal strength itself is pretty strong once you flash the firmware to DD-WRT. My router is in my bedroom, which is on the third of fourth floor of our apartment building. I can get a clean signal with my iphone from inside my car. 

Thanks for the feedback :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 22
^ I also should mention this is with stock settings, DD-WRT allows you to boost the signal strength even further. (The router becomes hotter though.. I've read it's like OC'ing your PC)

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
^ I also should mention this is with stock settings, DD-WRT allows you to boost the signal strength even further. (The router becomes hotter though.. I've read it's like OC'ing your PC)

lol, i wouldn't want to do that. As it's for home, where my mum would be using it as well.

Is the edimax i posted any good?

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:

Most stock routers pump out 50-60mw... DD-WRT sets it to 70mw for stock.  With WRT54G's they can go to 90mw before you need to worry about extra cooling.

That said at work we have a WRT54G DD-WRT'ed pumping out 250mw outside that we use for an AP and it hasnt ever failed or needed a reboot.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:

No idea honestly. Never heard of them, but I'm no router expert either. I'd recommend a DD-WRT-able router, unless you're afraid to mess with the firmware. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I personally wouldn't be confident with router settings. Never been a fan of messing with the internet connection.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 22
^It really isn't that hard if you have some general knowledge about how computers work. This was my first router, if you can read step by step directions, you'd probably be fine. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 22
I'd just find a linksys/cisco router that fits your needs and price range. i don't know much about that edimax but i'd avoid belkin for sure. you can mix brands of cards with routers no problem, they all work on the same protocol. you probably dont need an N router just yet but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one. the speed boost when using the N protocol is amazing, but you also need an N card.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I'd just find a linksys/cisco router that fits your needs and price range. i don't know much about that edimax but i'd avoid belkin for sure. you can mix brands of cards with routers no problem, they all work on the same protocol. you probably dont need an N router just yet but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one. the speed boost when using the N protocol is amazing, but you also need an N card.

Thanks for the reply :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 22
I second the Linksys/Cisco router. I've had many brands, and found the Linksys's to be most reliable and gave best signal. In our current home, the router is strong enough to give good connections for machines anywhere in the house, which is a big colonial with finished basement. Router is currently on bedroom level, and my office is in a room in the basement at the other end of the house. I get consistent download speeds of 20mb over wireless N with about 3 bars signal strength. The Belkin couldn't cut it at all. I also used to have a wireless G router but needed range extenders to have full covereage. Go with Linksys wireless N and use wireless N adapters on the your machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back