Good Budget Sound - Floorstanders vs. Bookshelves + Sub
Dec 4, 2006 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I've got a scrapped together stereo system which is holding up decently. It consists of a Denon DRA-625R powering two Mirage MBS's (yes, I'm using old bi-polar rears as mains, I got them from my parents ok
cool.gif
) and a Sony SA-WM250 sub I picked up for cheap.

Of course, being the budding audiophile I am, I'm always looking for things to blow my money on to improve the listening experience. Right now, I'm not going to be putting large sums into ICs and other accesories because speakers make, by far, the biggest difference in sound, so I figure I better upgrade them until I'm satisfied before I worry about the more subtle improvements.

Now, my question. For a budget system (less than $1000 total), would it be better to use two floorstanders on their own, or pair bookshelves with a sub?

I've been looking at Athena, Axiom, Paradigm, Energy and some other brands and I want some input. Athena's bookshelves are very cheap and have gotten some good reviews, but how are the floorstanders? The AS-F2.2 are very inexpensive but are they any good? Are there ANY good AND cheap floorstanders? Or would it be a better investment to stick with bookshelves and a sub?

Basically I would like it if anyone could give me some advice on this matter. Thanks!

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 18
For 2 channel audio, you can go with subs if you are willing to take the time to integrate them properly. It also depends on your room.

Quality floorstanders under $1K are somewhat hard to get. If you want an audiophile experience, I recommend getting the best bookshelf speakers you can get. Get better subs down the road and learn how to integrat them properly.

All the brands you mentioned offer a good value. I would also check out AV123.

Definitely skip the interconnects unless you have extra funds. Speakers ARE the most important selection.

Is your budget $1k for the speakers or your whole system?

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 18
I would put Von Shrieker (sp)? VR-1 on your list. If your room is not too big, I would say less than 400sqft, and with the correct placement, you can easily get 40hz bass. It's better if you drive it with either tube or warm SS.

It does voice/small ensemble extremely well, orchestra stuff great (add sub would be better), jazz excellent. The difference between VR1 and Paradigm S2 is a toss up in sound. S2 looks alot better though
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between VR1 and Paradigm S2 is a toss up in sound. S2 looks alot better though
biggrin.gif

What's the price on the VR1s? Because the S2s are almost $2000 if that's still current.

Edit: The AV123 x-ls looks quite apealing. Is there anything better around the $200 mark?

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the price on the VR1s? Because the S2s are almost $2000 if that's still current.

$400-600 used on Audiogon and the stand is about $250 (you must get it to allow VR-1 sound its best)

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 18
If you want really good "audiophile" floorstanding speaker then thats going to push the budget a bit. I would stick with bookshelfs and a subwoofer properly setup in a room which will yeild great sound. I wouldn't worry too much about interconnect cables and wiring, just use decent cables and not the junk-o cables which are like $5 dollars which will degrade the sound.
For the speakers also take a look at the Epos ELS 3 and Rega R1.

Is $1000 total for speakers only or speakers and a subwoofer only? Or is $1000 the total for the whole system?

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 18
$1000 was just a general estimate of a total budget system. I don't actually have $1000 to blow at the moment. I have a couple hundred available currently, but will be saving up more as the paychecks come in (yay dish washing job
tongue.gif
).

I will probably be buying new speakers (most likely bookshelves now) first, and use that with my current reciever and sub. Later on, I will get a new sub and probably a new amp down the road.

For now, I'm just concentrating on the mains which I would like to keep under $300 total.

Right now the ones that look good are: AV123 x-ls, Paradigm Titan (or Atom if it's compairable), Athena AS-B2.2, Axiom M3 (is the ti the same as v3?) and the Energy C-3 (if I can find it cheap).

Out of those, which would be the best sound/value?

Edit: Hmm, the Radiient Europa looks pretty decent. I have the Insignias but I find them a bid muddied (sometimes boomy) in the low end and don't shine in the high end how I'd like. How do the Europa's compair? They're only $99 right now...

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
av 123 has x-series floorstanders coming out soon - you might also want to think about full rangers - could have some nice ones built and add a sub or two in that price range.

How well do floorstanders integrate with subs? Are they usually enough by themselves?

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do floorstanders integrate with subs? Are they usually enough by themselves?

Depends on the floorstanders, but unless you have a way to set a crossover for both speakers, you might end up with too much muddy low end.

Check out the review at affordableaudio.com of the Onix X-ls done by a head-fi member. You can find it on the middle of the page:
http://www.affordableaudio.org/

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 18
For under $1000, it's tough to beat Magnepan.... if you're desire is not to have earth shaking bass but rather sparkling clean and open sound. But then again you can add a sub and have a really great system.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 18
x2 for half the MSRP of VR1 you get some nice nice sound.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 for half the MSRP of VR1 you get some nice nice sound.

What speakers are you refering to precicely?

Edit: I'm dumb. The Magnepans. They're still over $500 though, if I'm not mistaken... which is a bit over what I wanted to spend. Would it be a significantly large improvement over the x-ls or M3?

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #15 of 18
Another forum I frequent has very favorable reviews of the Magnepan MMGW speakers as well which only cost $299 and have a nice lengthy home trial time with full refund.
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

I can't answer the question about whether it would be an improvement over the Von Schweikert speakers however since I've not heard those speakers. Von Schweikert speakers also have a lot of favorable reviews and are highly recommened on the other forum I frequent: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back