Good budget optical out?
Jan 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I've been chasing AC noise in my computer system (yes, it is very noticeable and begins and ends with the computer...not ground fault, etc) and I need to go to a DAC with an optical connection from my 'puter. I have an AV-710 but I don't trust it (death screech) and it seems that you have to trick it into being a good optical out.

Is there a good budget optical out (card, etc) that I could use?

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Apple AirPort Express maybe?

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesnt ur mobo have optical out, its the DAC that matters when ur using optical out so as long what ur pluging the optical into is good then its fine

No, the computer is about 5 years old Aand it's a Dell) so doesn't have an optical out.
I'm looking at a TosLink connection (optical cable)

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 8
well since u dont say what country ur in i assume its the US, this contains what ur after anything with optical out really
Newegg.com - Sound Cards, Input Devices, Computer Hardware

like i said if you using optical out then it shouldnt make a lot of difference what you use but bit rate and bit depth will vary

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the computer is about 5 years old Aand it's a Dell) so doesn't have an optical out.
I'm looking at a TosLink connection (optical cable)

The Edirol UA-1EX USB soundcard has an optical out for about 80 dollars but a cheaper option is the Behringer UCA202 for 30 of aforementioned currency...I have both.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Edirol UA-1EX USB soundcard has an optical out for about 80 dollars but a cheaper option is the Behringer UCA202 for 30 of aforementioned currency...I have both.

I have the UCA202 also and use it for the optical out only from my computer's USB port to the optical in of my external DAC. I tried using the line out and it sounds like crap, but as a digital pass through it sounds very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back