Good budget DAC/Amp for new cans
Dec 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SBirmo

New Head-Fier
Really new guy here. I jumped on the Cyber Monday HE-400i deal (and also the Senn 598SE, ugh) and now I need a desktop DAC/Amp to complement. I also have the Grado SR60e on their way - why, I don't know - I might have a problem - thanks Massdrop. Anyone have a recommended desktop DAC/Amp in the under $350 range? My funds are running out, lol, but I think I did well getting those three for $463 total? I listen to a wide range - classical, rock, blues, jazz - anything good. So it goes without saying, I don't listen to rap or electronic. Thanks for any guidance. If I don't get help soon, it will be difficult for me not to click ORDER on a JDS Element. Is that a bad thing?

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 12
When I owned an HE400i, I drove it with a Schiit Fulla, and it still sounded great. (I also had a Magni 2 Uber and various other amps, but that was before and after that time.) The Element looks like an amazing amp/DAC, and it's the only non-electrostatic amp I still want.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Following

- Like you I have the HE-400i and am going to get an amp.  Looking at various Schitt products and the TEAC HA-P50.  I wonder if I could tell a difference between the two?

What is your source?  Desktop/laptop?

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you guys for the advice. I may get a FiiO for the Grados at the office and the Element or some Schiit for the house. I love to build things so a Crack is in my future too.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 12
  Really new guy here. I jumped on the Cyber Monday HE-400i deal (and also the Senn 598SE, ugh) and now I need a desktop DAC/Amp to complement. I also have the Grado SR60e on their way - why, I don't know - I might have a problem - thanks Massdrop. Anyone have a recommended desktop DAC/Amp in the under $350 range? My funds are running out, lol, but I think I did well getting those three for $463 total? I listen to a wide range - classical, rock, blues, jazz - anything good. So it goes without saying, I don't listen to rap or electronic. Thanks for any guidance. If I don't get help soon, it will be difficult for me not to click ORDER on a JDS Element. Is that a bad thing?

Like you I jumped the gun on HE 400i too!! after some consideration I got the iBasso DX 80 to use as portable and DAC to my PC. its slightly above the $ range but i hope to bring down the cluter of getting different set up for desktop and on the go

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 12
That $350 range you have several options:

- Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 stack (regular or uber option)

- O2-ODAC combo

- Element

- Audio gd NFB-11

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks to all. I pulled the trigger on the Element. I figured it would handle anything and would be pretty well made. I am not really looking to be portable and I try to support USA companies when possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back