Good BritsBands
Jan 7, 2005 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

st3

Head-Fier
what are some of your favorite British bands?
i like coldplay, radiohead, stereophonic, the cure, muse, snow patrol, oasis, travis and some others.
-st3

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 24
Black Sabbath
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 24
Led zep? pink floyd, and whole lot of hot **** going on.

Oh yeah and you have Whitney Houston's "And I will always Love you"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey the original hate song thread that was my nomination , now someone's hijacked it, cheeky monkeys!

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 24
Ash, Badly Drawn Boy, Baxter Dury, Belle & Sebastian, Blur, British Sea Power, Catatonia, Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Gomez, PJ Harvey, Placebo, Pulp, Radiohead, Skin / Skunk Anansie, Spiritualized, Starsailor (sympathy vote cos the lead singer lives in my home town), The Coral, The Delgados, The Smiths, The Verve.

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 24
Ash, Belle & Sebastian, Coldplay, Divine Comedy, Elbow, Franz Ferdinand, Keane, Manic Street Preachers (A+++), Muse, Placebo, Radiohead, Travis (kinda..), Verve, Starsailor, Richard Ashcroft.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 24
pretty much all of the above, but add portishead, massive attack, four tet, cinematic orchestra, mr scruff, jon kennedy etc - they may not know how to cook, but they sure can cook up some decent tunes!
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 24
Britain puts out some great electronic & trip-hop artists:

- Fluke
- Future Sound of London
- Leftfield
- Orbital
- The Chemical Brothers
- The Prodigy
- Underworld

- Massive Attack / Portishead / Tricky
- Lamb
- Morcheeba

And others too, though I take pride in the fact that American counterparts such as The Crystal Method and Thievery Corporation are equally great.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 24
Britain = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. So Belle & Sebastian (Scotland), Catatonia (Wales) and Ash (Northern Ireland) are fine, but no U2.
smily_headphones1.gif

*Pedantically* speaking, 'Britain' is usually taken to refer to 'The United Kingdom', which is all of the above plus random remnants of the old Empire like the Falklands, Gibraltar etc etc. The United Kingdom is the formal name. Great Britain correctly refers only to the British mainland, i.e., most of England and Scotland, excluding the small offshore islands. Great Britain (rather than the United Kingdom) competes in some sporting competitions, for obscure reasons. The nations (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) compete individually in others, and in still others the United Kingdom is represented.

Confused yet?
smily_headphones1.gif
For musical purposes, stick to the United Kingdom definition.

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 24
Primal Scream
The Stone Roses
Inspiral Carpets
Dead or Alive
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Thompson Twins
Tears For Fears
Bow Wow Wow
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 24
Zotjen: You have great taste in music!!!

I also like BeBop Deluxe, Roxy Music, Steeleye Span, Pretty Things, The Kinks, Yaz (and Alison Moyet), Erasure, Altered Images, Duran Duran, Jethro Tull, Man, Savoy Brown, The Who, Eric Clapton, Traffic, Humble Pie, Peter Frampton, and David Bowie among others.

But my favorite is the Cocteau Twins!

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 24
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Beatles
Cream/Eric Clapton
Oasis
Yes
Radiohead
The Cure
The Clash
The Police/Sting
Jeff Beck
Massive Attack
David Bowie
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry

In no particular order...I'm sure that I must have forgotten a few...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back