Good Bookshelf Speakers for less than $200
Dec 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #46 of 57
I have been looking into these actually. I have heard them a few times at best buy (hard to really get a good audition in there though). Sound great for the money, but I can't help but feel that stepping up to a decent brand (ie Paradigm, Monitor, Onix) would be a big difference in the end. Guess I will see though. I have tracked the price of these a while and this is the cheapest its been the past few months. However last year, these were selling for like $25-30.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #47 of 57
Do yourself a favor and get the Onix and not the Insignia. For $50 they are probably ok but as you upgrade your gear your going to be annoyed by their shortcomings. It looks you will need a new receiver and cd player and you will probably step up to something better than what you have now so buy a speaker you can build a system around.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a favor and get the Onix and not the Insignia. For $50 they are probably ok but as you upgrade your gear your going to be annoyed by their shortcomings. It looks you will need a new receiver and cd player and you will probably step up to something better than what you have now so buy a speaker you can build a system around.

You speak the truth. I personally got a pair of insignias just because i have store credit left over from when my old mp3 player died and everything except dvds/cds on sale and these are pretty much a rip off that i can get cheaper online than at best buy. That being said, if you can take the $50 hit and have a diy itch in you... i think i might be doing some cabinet reinforcement over christmas.

If $50 is serious, then stick with something better first. i myself am also getting a pair of xls over break so i'll be able to compare them
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #49 of 57
I completely agree with the previous posts. Having heard both, the insignias are nowhere near the onix's in terms of sound quality, imaging and ability to present a decent soundstage.

Zaph audio has an article about the insignias and modding them where he states: "Here's a few bits of my opinion - For $50 per pair you can't get anything better. On the other hand, only spending $50 on your speakers is setting your sights pretty low." Article

The x-ls's are a great little speaker and if you put them on a pair of stands and place them correctly in your room I think you will be quite happy.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

And I basically got a pair of X-LS free. I have to say that these are amazing speakers and better than the PSB Alpha B1, Paradigm Atom or mini monitor. They can compete with the PSB B25 and Paradigm Titan Monitor.

:O

I often see the Atoms suggested when someone asks for ~200-300 dollar speakers and I was beginning to think my pair of x-ls were inferior... Guess not!

Have you seen the skiing ninja crossovers?

Skiing Ninja Systems - x-series upgrades

I've been considering purchasing them.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #51 of 57
oh yeah ninja's mods get great praise.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I basically got a pair of X-LS free. I have to say that these are amazing speakers and better than the PSB Alpha B1, Paradigm Atom or mini monitor. They can compete with the PSB B25 and Paradigm Titan Monitor.

I like KEF iQ3 better than PSB B25. I got iQ3 for $350 a pair new from a local dealer. So they are not much more expensive than x-ls plus shipping.

http://stereo.50webs.com/

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #54 of 57
psb alpha b1
i own the older alpha a/v model and use it in my home theater but they sound great for music also. they even scale well to better associated equipment.

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #55 of 57
I also own some PSB speakers and I love them. I would look for either the Alpha B or the Image line bookshelf models.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like KEF iQ3 better than PSB B25. I got iQ3 for $350 a pair new from a local dealer. So they are not much more expensive than x-ls plus shipping.

http://stereo.50webs.com/

I auditioned a pair of those and thought they had really nice highs but were a little bass light. I think they would give the x-ls much more of a run for the money than psb or paradigm, but the x-ls are still a better price/performance point.

I know this is all personal preference, but I listened to a pair of the psb image t55's and I'd take the x-ls over them any day. The psb tower was a bit more extended in both highs and lows, but the x-ls is just as detailed and much more lively and engaging, all at less than half the price.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #57 of 57
I have the Insignia speakers, and they are by far the worst speakers I own. I bought them real cheap when they were on sale a while back, but the praise is very overstated. They are pretty bad, and are clearly bested my many of my older bookshelves (Kef Chorale III, B&W 302, original NHT Superzeros). I do not recommend them. The other speakers in the discussion are significantly better.

Now, how about the Celestion F15s? I have the big brother, the F20 floor standers (very LOW floor standers), but I'm impressed with both the look and the sound. The "dark apple" looks like an expensive speaker - nice fit and finish. It's got a killer good tweeter, and is well matched to an ample woofer. Here is a good review of the F15s here.

StereoTimes -- The Celestion F15 Loudspeaker

Celestion is now owned by the same company that makes Quad and Wharfedale - designed in england and manufactured in china.

Available shipped for $140/pair from Buy.Com.

Buy.com - Celestion F15 DARK APPLE 5.25'' 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Dark Apple) - F15 DARK APPLE

Any opinions on these?

Another thing: If you don't already have an amp, how about the audioengine speakers? I have not heard them, but they've gotten great reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back