Good/Best Amp + CDP combi for MS2
Aug 14, 2007 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

malcolmhead

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I've a MS2 currently connected directly from an old Sony DVD player, and now looking for an upgrade in the CDP and include a head amp that can provide good synergy, ie. MS2 + CDP + head amp. Portability is not important, but budget is crucial. I don't want to spend on a good amp/cdp that is an overkill for the MS2. Combine budget for both CDP + head amp should not exceed USD900.

Reading through the Head-Fi forums, I cannot find an answer for the best CDP + head amp to synergize with MS2.

Thanks in advance for all contribution.

Malcolm

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply.
Few questions to your suggestion:
1. Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ Purist HD costs USD670, so that leaves less than 300 for the CDP. Do you think the Marantz CD5001 provide good synergy with MAD Ear+ HD2 and MS2? With NAD C542, it will blow my budget.

2. MAP Ear+ HD is a tube amp, which most of the feedbacks indicate tube as better amp than solid-state amp. But I'm a bit concern over the durability of the tubes. Is there any solid state amp that works well with MS2?

3. I read about RA-1 and Gilmore Lite that are below USD500. But are they really in a different league compared with the MAD Ear+ HD2, WA6, etc?

Finally, I listen mostly piano pieces, acoustics, jazz and other instruments.

More suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks all.
Malcolm

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi Malcolm

I know the allure of a Mapletree. However, if you have to stick with that budget, it might be better to redistribute it and go for a better source. I've heard the 5001 and it just didnt float my boat.

The MS2, and in general Grados and Alessandros, is not that particular about amps although the warmth of a nice tube amp tend to bring out its best. A warm SS amp IMHO would do just as well, and there are plenty of nice SS amp that come in under USD500.

As for the durability and cost of tubes, they should last a few years at least with normal listening. Martin Electronics @ Burlington Square has quite a nice selection and they are not necessarily expensive.

Happy Hunting!

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 5
New NAD/Cambridge CDP (there are some demos available from audioadvisor). Later on snag a DAC and use the CDP as the transport.

And then I would grab the Eddie Current solid state. EC/SS.

Somewhere in the $800 ballpark depending on source.

Mapletree is currently not excepting orders the rest of the month. I liked my MAD when I had it, but SS works better in my life.

Dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back