Good Balanced cable for SennHD650s?
May 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Shadewell

New Head-Fier
I have a headroom balanced amp setup and due to wear and tear on the headphone cords my left channel is falling out. I've been looking for a replacement cable and was thinking about grabbing Cardas' balanced headphone cables... anyone have some experience with this product or suggestions for other good balanced cables?

May 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm mulling over recabling my 650's too...some of the popular options, which have been discussed extensively on head-fi, are the APureSound v series, moon audio dragon series, cardas and the Stefan AudioArt

May 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 19
Double Helix makes nice cables also for a more afordable price that stefan Audio Art.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 19
I have a balanced Double Helix Oro y Plata cable for my HD650. Had it for about a month. It replaced a single-ended Cardas Cable. Much, much better, in every audible way ... and I thought I was already in nirvana.

Please contact Peter Bradstock at Double Helix, before the wait list gets crazy and his prices start to climb.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 19
^ Sure, but you are now comparing single ended use vs. balanced. The change in SQ is more because of the amp than the cable change...

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnauber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a balanced Double Helix Oro y Plata cable for my HD650. Had it for about a month. It replaced a single-ended Cardas Cable. Much, much better, in every audible way ... and I thought I was already in nirvana.

Please contact Peter Bradstock at Double Helix, before the wait list gets crazy and his prices start to climb.

His cables sure are beautiful. However, I kinda agree with apatn, making your own could be pretty fun.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

You sound like a guy advertising and you have only 3 posts.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Hey, "punk_guy182," nothing else to do up there in Canucksville besides ragging beginning posters just because they really like their new cable? To paraphrase, you sound like a guy who is kinda envious and you have only 442 posts.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Hey, "punk_guy182," nothing else to do up there in Canucksville besides ragging beginning posters just because they really like their new cable? To paraphrase, you sound like a guy who is kinda envious and you have only 442 posts.

I just replyed to your private message. I guess we'll keep this conversation private.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 19
If you're a 'cable-believer' (for a lack of better word), and believe that different cables offer vastly different sound signatures(copper warm, silver bright, tin tinny, brass brassy, etc), then this won't be any help, but if you're looking for something more practical.. I'd definitely get someone to diy a cable with Mogami W3106.
It is a high-end studio-grade cable made for balanced-stereo applications.
Each channel properly shielded and twisted, low microphonics, very low capacitance and inductance, durable, flexible, with solid construction, and very low stereo crosstalk.
Terminated with Neutrik XLR of course.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 19
^ Have you tried that cable? It looks pretty bulky. In case you did try it, do you have pictures of it for reference?

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Muck around with other cables if you like but if your truly interested in a super cable that enhances the 650 with no drawbacks then the Equinox is it. There is no guess work. You will get more impact, less bloat, no veil, and a more dynamic sound over all. Only drawback I can see is the price but its not that much more than others like APS.

EDIT: I see you are using a soundcard as a source, just order the stock balanced cable from headroom and work on getting a better source before you blow money on a headphone cable.
wink_face.gif

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...d650-cable.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back