good balanced amp?
Apr 7, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It boils down to this... when I designed the β22, I wanted one amp that would be able to drive any dynamic headphone to its fullest potential without compromise, and even serve as a low-power but very high quality power amp for speakers. It would also be an outstanding preamp for its low noise and the ability to drive long interconnect cables without quality loss.

Since someone brought up Ferrai vs. BMW, an analogy in this case might be an Audi RS4. It could run with the best on the track, yet has room for passengers and serve well as your daily commute/grocery-getter, and all-wheel drive when the roads get loose or the weather turns foul.

Sure, there are singular-purpose cars out there that could match the RS4 in specific areas, but none as the all-rounder that it is. There are many excellent headphone amps out there, no question. But which ones push the envelope in terms of voltage swing, output current, distortion and noise, bandwidth and speed, and all of the other metrics as far as the β22?

When we're talking about a reference-class amp, merely "good enough" isn't.

Yes, I drive Audis.
cool.gif

Well lets not get into cars..... that's a rabbit hole of an entirely different depth.

I do get your point and I think your amp is an amazing design. Maybe some day I'll have a pair of phones that require the amazing amount of power that you put out but I doubt it.

I look forward to the design for the 200W headphone amp in the near future...

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I contacted him (Stephen at Rockohpper) about a month ago and he sent me a firm quote for a 2 sigma22 board beta22 setup for under $1700 but I backed out because I had not heard the amp and 3 months is a long time to wait. I would highly recommend people contact him before stating that he's not doing stuff......
wink.gif

Yeah, I guess your month old email is probably more accurate than the phone conversation I had with him a couple nights ago...
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I guess your month old email is probably more accurate than the phone conversation I had with him a couple nights ago...
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well I guess not.... next time I make a statement based on true evidence I'll make sure to run it by you.. sorry.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I guess not.... next time I make a statement based on true evidence I'll make sure to run it by you.. sorry.

You don't have to run anything by me, but you did assume that I didn't know what I was talking about, which was incorrect. So next time, maybe don't assume?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back