good audiologist in massachusetts (as close to belmon as possible)
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
guys, I'm hoping to one day reshell my universal IEM into a custom (not at the moment though, lack funding) anywho, could anybody recommend a good audiologist in massachusetts (and hopefully near belmont)? westone and UE both have recommendations, but i was wondering if anybody has first hand experience with an audiologist, also, I would like to know how much they charged for the impressions

thanks in advance

james

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 6
pulled this out of another thread:

Quote: pkshiu
I actually just got this done, at audiology services inc. Audiology Services, Inc. Belmont,... | Audiology Services, Inc. in Belmont. First one that comes up on google. The audiologist (Gayle) was pretty friendly. He told he has a pair of custom tipped ER4 himself. I used averysound's service, and I am initially just making a custom mold for my Jawbone II. I figure if that works out I'll get something for the E500 as well.

One interesting thing is that after making the first mold, the audiologist decided that it wasn't good enough, and made a second one using his own "compound". I sent both into Avery. I'll report back after I get them back.

Evidently it's $30 per ear (so $60 total). I haven't been to them personally. I went to a place in Worcester for the JH16s.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
pulled this out of another thread:

Quote: pkshiu
I actually just got this done, at audiology services inc. Audiology Services, Inc. Belmont,... | Audiology Services, Inc. in Belmont. First one that comes up on google. The audiologist (Gayle) was pretty friendly. He told he has a pair of custom tipped ER4 himself. I used averysound's service, and I am initially just making a custom mold for my Jawbone II. I figure if that works out I'll get something for the E500 as well.

One interesting thing is that after making the first mold, the audiologist decided that it wasn't good enough, and made a second one using his own "compound". I sent both into Avery. I'll report back after I get them back.

Evidently it's $30 per ear (so $60 total). I haven't been to them personally. I went to a place in Worcester for the JH16s.

that company came up in my google maps quest, only $60 for a impression! that makes me excited! :D my dream (impulse of the day) might actually be fulfilled

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 6
just a question, could i make one impression, and use it as a basis for two reshellings? (for example, make a impression, send it off with a triple fi 10 and a westone 3 and get both reshelled)

James

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're going to go for two reshells, you might as well try selling a pair of the universals (or both) and using that money to finance a proper set of customs.

I think someone described reshelled universals by saying that they were simply universals disguised in a custom shell. Beyond the literal correctness of that statement, it means that they will not sound as good as an entry-level custom IEM regardless of the quality of the universal that you start with. You might get an improvement, sure, but it might be marginal. Worst case scenario is that they end up sounding worse, and you have to keep convincing yourself that you made a good choice :D

Of course, this is all hypothetical (hehe) and to address your original question, I believe you can request to have impressions reused. Or, if that's not possible, have them use one of your reshells as a basis for the other. Same result.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
If you're going to go for two reshells, you might as well try selling a pair of the universals (or both) and using that money to finance a proper set of customs.

I think someone described reshelled universals by saying that they were simply universals disguised in a custom shell. Beyond the literal correctness of that statement, it means that they will not sound as good as an entry-level custom IEM regardless of the quality of the universal that you start with. You might get an improvement, sure, but it might be marginal. Worst case scenario is that they end up sounding worse, and you have to keep convincing yourself that you made a good choice :D

Of course, this is all hypothetical (hehe) and to address your original question, I believe you can request to have impressions reused. Or, if that's not possible, have them use one of your reshells as a basis for the other. Same result.

always love a good topic for discussion, if you think about it, a custom IEM is also a universal disguised in custom shell, they use the same hardware (balanced armatures with crossovers, apparently all the big companies buy BA's from the same company) just like universals and if the resheller is experienced, they should be able to optimize the sound (or at least) know the best arrangement of the armatures for the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back