Good Audio Setup for Music [£250($387)]
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Datastream

Head-Fier
I currently have the Logitech Z523 2.1 40w which isnt good at all. I want to upgrade to a better system either Monitor or HiFi Speakers (in a small room) mainly for listening to Hip-Hip/Rap Music and the occasional movie every few weeks. I'm looking to spend up to £250 ($387). 

Which system would be best? Studio Monitors with an audio interface or a decent pair of 2.0/2.1 Speakers with a good Soundcard and Amp? I'm not sure which brand of speakers to go for either.. although i was looking at the M-Audio range and they seem quite good.

Can anyone help me out, there's so many to choose from I'm not sure which one is the best for my price range. 

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Whether or not studio monitors or passive speaker + amp is better is very debatable and depends upon which products are available at what prices in the UK. Either setup might benefit from an external DAC or sound card.

You could grab an Indeed TA2021 or Topping TP21 t-amp. One of those could power a set of passive home audio speakers, such as Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s. You could always add a subwoofer later on for more/deeper bass.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 11
How would these compare to something like the M Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitors? as don't know much about speakers in general.
Would there be any point looking at 'Computer Speakers' eg. (Klipsh ProMedia 2.1) or would they not produce anything like loudspeakers ?

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 11
I used to have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Upgraded to Cambridge Audio S30s, which are probably equivalent or slightly lower in class than the Wharfedale Diamonds. The Promedia have a little deeper louder bass because of the tiny sub, but the mids and highs on the S30s had much better clarity, and even the midbass was tighter. That being said, the Promedia 2.1s are excellent computer speakers for around $125.

Can't comment on the M-Audios. Haven't heard them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 11
If you don't plan on using headphones, the Asus Xonar D1/DX are very good sound cards (they don't have a headphone amp).

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I will be using headphones 

The SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) comes with a headphone amplifier and the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the Xonar DX & D1.
The SB-Z should improve the audio quality of the Z523 2.1 speakers.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) comes with a headphone amplifier and the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the Xonar DX & D1.
The SB-Z should improve the audio quality of the Z523 2.1 speakers.

I wont be using the Z523 when i upgrade, they sound terrible.

Do you have any recommendations for some speakers? cel4145 suggested the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Do you have any recommendations for some speakers? cel4145 suggested the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s.

It may be hard for people to recommend speakers for you. Prices are different from country to country and region to region, as well as what speaker models are available. The only reason I know about the Diamonds is because they are a UK brand that has been popular in the US, but cheaper there in the UK. You probably need to talk to people in the UK. You might try AVForums. They are a UK based Internet community.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 11
  I wont be using the Z523 when i upgrade, they sound terrible.
Do you have any recommendations for some speakers? cel4145 suggested the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s.

I'm not that well versed enough in speakers to be able to recommend something.
I know zero about Wharfdale
I usually say to get some Polk Audio on sale.
Dalton Audio seems to have some well liked speakers, for a low price.
Check for a used receiver with 2.1 speakers, some people sell off nice audio stuff at a very fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back