Good Audio Engineering schools in NJ?
Aug 12, 2011 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
hey,just wondering if anyone knows any? i'm trying to keep it as local as possible so if anyone knows any specifically around the Burlington County area that'll be awesome but if not i guess i can work with it as long as it's not like more 2-3 hours away. can't afford to be staying in any dorm rooms or anything and would prefer to be close to home cause it'll be much easier living situation(cheaper).

i have some experience from doing bed room recordings(producing everything from multiple electronic genres,to classical,to acoustic,ect. i'm pretty versatile when it comes to types of music). i also have tons other experience through the years with multiple jobs(electrical work,house improvements,carpeting,landscaping,painting,computer technician) but would like to get in what i love most. music. so been gonna try to get certified to do the job and try to shoot for masters(if i can) cause i ain't getting any younger.

also if anyone knows as well for possible qualified grants or loans i can probably take advantage of(for school of course) that'll be great. i was edgy at first about loans(cause i hate borrowing money. kinda a pride thing) but if i have no other choice i will take it if it's the only way. do they still even hand out loans for school?

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 11
I highly recommend you avoid going to school and building up a huge debt for this kind of career.

The best thing you can do is call around local studios and become an apprentice. After about 10,000 - 15,000 hours of doing apprentice work, you will be able to either get hired at another studio, start your own studio or become a hired hand at that studio. A lot of people I know who are actually working in this field never went to school for it and they all started out as volunteers. Start calling and sell yourself.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 11
alright. what would best to say when i give them calls? i should just tell them my experience with music and let them i know some things that i currently have experience with(room acoustics,some recording,instrument experience) and equipment? i think they would like to know what i used right and have experience with? i'm gonna start looking around here and see what studios are available in my area and give them calls.

thanks again for the info.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
alright. what would best to say when i give them calls? i should just tell them my experience with music and let them i know some things that i currently have experience with(room acoustics,some recording,instrument experience) and equipment? i think they would like to know what i used right and have experience with? i'm gonna start looking around here and see what studios are available in my area and give them calls.

thanks again for the info.

Basically all you want to tell them is that you are extremely interested in learning anything and everything you can about the business and you are willing to work for free in exchange for learning the ins and outs of a studio, everything from making coffee and cleaning up all the way to setting up a recording studio for a band to billing and paperwork.

You may not get a yes right away but keep at it...you'll find someone to help you out soon enough.

I would also highly recommend you do go to school for a more serious career just in case this one doesn't work out exactly as planned.

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 11
I highly recommend you avoid going to school and building up a huge debt for this kind of career.

The best thing you can do is call around local studios and become an apprentice. After about 10,000 - 15,000 hours of doing apprentice work, you will be able to either get hired at another studio, start your own studio or become a hired hand at that studio. A lot of people I know who are actually working in this field never went to school for it and they all started out as volunteers. Start calling and sell yourself.

Wow, 10,000 hours is 40 hours a week for 5 years working 50 weeks per year. I fail to see how one could do this a pursue a more conventional education at the same time.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Wow, 10,000 hours is 40 hours a week for 5 years working 50 weeks per year. I fail to see how one could do this a pursue a more conventional education at the same time.

The 10,000 hours thing is just an anecdote that is well known in many industries. It is often said that it takes 10,000 hours of concentrated practice to become a master of a craft.

One could easily pursue a conventional education while doing apprentice work for a few years. I did it and so have many, many others.

Just as an example, I started learning about audio manipulation back in 1999. I didn't even consider selling my craft until 2008. That's almost 10 years of practice.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 11
The 10,000 hours thing is just an anecdote that is well known in many industries. It is often said that it takes 10,000 hours of concentrated practice to become a master of a craft.

One could easily pursue a conventional education while doing apprentice work for a few years. I did it and so have many, many others.

Just as an example, I started learning about audio manipulation back in 1999. I didn't even consider selling my craft until 2008. That's almost 10 years of practice.

Yes, I also read about the anecdote but it was about photography, 10,000 hour to master any craft, about 5 years of professional work, possibly 20 or more years for a serious amateur, but I thought that was kind of out of the context for the OP.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 11
If you could, maybe take up a degree on another possible career path while working part-time in a studio. Real world experience is very valuable experience, something they don't teach in classes, something not written in textbooks. Obviously going 40 hours a week, for 5 years, working for free or low pay in a studio as an apprentice is a huge gamble, so I wouldn't advise you to just plunge into that path. Have a back-up, try to juggle both. It'll work out. 

About that anecdote, a lecturer once said that it took about 10 years on average to master any subject. In other words, it's practice practice practice, experience experience experience. Lol @ khaos. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Real world experience is very valuable experience, something they don't teach in classes, something not written in textbooks.

This is extremely true. I know mastering engineers who actually went to school for it and they don't really know how to problem solve.

95% of the stuff I do I didn't learn from books...it came from real world experience and problem solving.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 11
well i was thinking of taking a business course since i did have experience helping run a store(was martial arts weapon dealer/distributer) and i do have some computer background as a technician(owner asked if i wanted to learn so he hired me). most of what i know in the real world needs some kind of degree tho. i can't just walk in and say i know this or that cause it won't matter without that ''piece of paper'' saying i'm certified. i agree real world experience is the best way to learn things since that's how i did and know what i know. just can be pain with some things cause it might require you to have that piece of paper to be considered good for that job and so forth.

anyways,i haven't got a chance to make any calls yet around my area. i appreciate all the info tho. i will try asking around and see how everything goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back