Good anti-static mat?
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 6
If it sits flat and is big enough for you, then you are good to go. I have a $5 mat from radioshack that works great. Just make sure that your iron is grounded, otherwise it will end up grounding itself through you.

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 6
What are you using it for?

If you're thinking of soldering on it, do you really need the ESD?

I put the board in a vise, so I'd rather have a mat that can handle the soldering. The vise can be grounded through a wrist strap or large value resistor. I keep parts on a separate ESD mat, but sensitive parts stay in conductive foam, too, 'cause I'm the biggest static problem. The circuit board can be grounded the same way using alligator clips, probably attached to the ground plane.

Trying to find something advertised to handle both soldering temperatures and ESD is expensive and noone really talks actual temperatures. One "high temperature" ESD mat only handles 160C. A lot of PVC (which that guy you link to is) melts just above there. A blob of solder would go through that like Alien's blood.

Which reminds me... is it chemically resistant, too? Something else to maybe think about.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Most DIY audio parts aren't that sensitive to ESD (exceptions being ICs like opamps), but if you do other work it can be important. I do a lot of work on computers and some microcontroller stuff too so ESD protection is a must (I have a similar mat at home). Just because you haven't fried something yet doesn't mean you won't in the future, and if you plan on doing lots of work over the years the investment is minimal.

I haven't had any problems soldering with it. I suppose if you weren't very careful the iron could hit it and make a scorch. I've had solder blobs hit it without any damage - they cool quickly in the air and when they hit the mat. I use a PanaVise with the circuit board holder (highly recommended) too so it's never really been an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back