Good and cheap portable player; recommendations?
Aug 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Raziel_BG

Head-Fier
OK, here's the deal. I currently own an Archos Gmini XS202 but it's not always possible to bring it with me so I'm looking for a cheap alternative.
Here are my requirements:
- decent price - under $100;
- good sound quality - doesn't have to be unmatched or anything but I would like it to be decent;
- flash (not HDD) based;
- 2GB-4GB storage space is enough;
- integrated rechargable battery with decent playback time (10-20 hours is OK);
- equalizer with custom settings;
- drag and drop capable (or Rockbox compatible so it can be flashed and be drag and drop capable then).

Good to have but not as important (lower priority):
- supported formats - I'm listening to mp3's only so I don't need additional extras;
- interface/display - I don't care about color displays, wallpapers and stuff like that; the display can be a simple 1/2 color LCD and I wouldn't care;
- package contents and accessories;
- FM radio/microphone/recording - I don't need such things at all.

Basically I'm looking for an affordable MP3 (only) player with decent sound quality and decent playback time via lithium-ion/polymer batter, that doesn't use software to transfer file, has at least 2GB storage and a decent EQ. It's going to be paired with Denon AH-C551s which arrived today and I'm very happy with.

I was looking at Archos 105 and 405 players. They look OK but are they really good and are there other better players?

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 25
sansa clip?

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 25
Right off from reading your post, I recommend that you look at the Sansa Clip. Here is a link to the review

SanDisk Sansa Clip Review

It is cheap, comes in 2 and 4 GB versions, sounds excellent for a budget player, supports drag and drop. However, you can't browse by file/ folder, only by ID3 tag. Battery life in normal use should be around 10 hours.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 25
I'd suggest the Sansa Clip, oh wait a minute, so did everyone else...
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HulkSmashNow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest the Sansa Clip, oh wait a minute, so did everyone else...
wink.gif

And now I did also!!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 25
E series Sansa is good bet as well. With luck, you should be able to find a nib 8gb E280 at your $100 limit. It is really a hellava player for the money they are clearing out for now.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 25
I got my e260 for $70-was almost $300 when it was first introduced in Australia, it's a great little player.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 25
nwz s616

Users who are viewing this thread

Back