Good Amp?
Sep 14, 2001 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nugen

Head-Fier
I was over checking at Minidisco.com checking out their accessories and I ran into an amp called Headbanger. Anyone have any prior experiences with this amp. The price seems tempting as i'm on a budget.

Sep 14, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 17
every once in a while someone ask about this amp..opninion seems to be: not better than a regular can-jack, prolly even worse, only louder. you're only going to need an amp when you've got some serious headphones. serious headphone will tell exactly how good/bad your amp is. either get a serious (CReek for instance) amp or do with your current jack.

Sep 14, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 17
It's generally considered a rather poor sonic performer from what I've heard -- I had been considering it about a year ago when I first got into this hobby and was told this. However, I have no personal experience with that amp. And at its price (is it still $80?) it's not really a good value. I'd suggest you make your own CMOY amp if you're willing to put in the effort, or else try to find a good used amp.

Sep 14, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 17
By the way, what headphones do you use? It would be very nice if you were to fill out your profile.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 17
well, if you're strapped for cash, I see no reason at all to get an amp for the sr80. it doesn't need it, it won't be worth the cash IMO. unless you're unhappy with them, but then a better headphoen is probably still more cost-effective.

Sep 14, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. DIY, CMOY, JMT, IMO....absolutely clueless

Cmoy - Chu Moy (administrator at HeadWize) designed amp
DIY - Do it yourself
IMO - In my opinion
JMT - me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 17
heh, yeah I guess it can be confusing
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO= In My Opinion
DIY= Do It Yourself
CMOY= headhoncho of Headwize, designer of the CMOY-pocket amplifier, a pretty simple DIY project.
JMT= member, builds portable headphone amps, lots of versions, styles, shoot him a mail.

Sep 14, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 17
nugen: lol, sorry, but this really is quite funny.

IMO simply means "In My Opinion." Likewise, DIY simply means "Do-It-Yourself." Versus buying it from a manufacturer....
Another common term is DBSE, or "Done By Someone Else" - the DIY for the lazy group I am part of
biggrin.gif

JMT is the screen name of a regular at this board, who happens to have made quite a few amps for other ppl - contact him for details.

CMOY is the person running the original headphone-maniac forum (headwize), and creator of a very well-respected amp - see Headwize.com's Library for more details.

Hope this clears up the above statements....

Sep 14, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 17
whoa.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back