Good amp under $75 ? Advice needed.
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Thehofl

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to build a nice, clean amp for under $75. I now there have been multiple posts or people asking how to build, but i haven't seen under $75. I work in IT so i have a basic to good understand of simple circuits and components. I was originally interested in building PA2v2, instead of buying it. The reason is i really love DIY projects. I could not get a hold of a schematic though. Anyway, can anyone point me to an amp less than $75 that has a tutorial of some sort? My Grados were just stepped on by my wife so i am using some in-ear Phillips headphones for now.
frown.gif

I really like the iBasso D2 + BOA, but it is well out of my price range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

HoFL

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe do a little bit of research on the Starving Student Hybrid Tube amp. I read that they kits for these are sold out at the moment, but a final lot of 35 or so will be for sale soon.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Another $20 (if you can swing it) will get you an AMB Mini3 from Glass Jar Audio...

~~~Sara

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 13
E5 isnt worth it imo. i would go with the amb mini3. you can get it for cheaper if you dont end up getting the engraved panels.

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 13
He wants to BUILD the amp, so that would rule out the Fiio amps from the get go.

HoFL , there is a DIY subforum down towards the bottom of the page that you may find very helpful. I would consider building a Mini3. Last time I totalled up a BOM it looked like it would be about 40-50 dollars to build, assuming you just get a plain face plate and not one of the engraved ones that AMB offers on the site. I've never had anything engraved, but apparently it's really expensive to have done for a custom job/small quantity like that.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Thank you to all who replied. I REALLY appreciate the advice. Not sure which i will pic as my 2nd portable amp project as of yet. I will post it when i get it going. Just out of curiosity; does anyone know of an inexpensive way to create a PCB? I have used software before, but then when i go to order them they are fairly expensive.

Again your advice is much appreciated.

HoFL

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Definitely a Mini3.It is cheap,sounds great and quite easy to build.You can find tons of info about it and there are lots helpful people in DIY forum if you have problem while building.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 13
So this weekend i built the standard newamplifier... the cmoy amp. I followed this great tutorial, but i am quite frustrated with the fact that there is a loud hissing in the right ear. The left has a very small hiss also. But the volume and hiss in the right ear stays the same no matter what position the potentiometer is in. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for the help.

HoFL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back