Good amp to match with Oppo 980 and Grado SR-80s?
Aug 18, 2007 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
I plan on buying an Oppo 980 sometime soon to replace by old source, as it seems like a great player for the price. Obviously, I'm going to need an amp to go with it. What I need:

- Budget: around $150 for amp, cables, etc.

- Headphones: Grado SR-80s

- Would prefer if amp could power higher-end headphones, like the Senn 6XX line or K701s.

- Portability is not an issue. This is purely for at-home listening.

Any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 7
$100 for an amp and cable is a very tight budget and I would suggest you start looking at the used gear. Even a budget pair of RCA interconnects from Blue Jean Cables will set you back $35 if new, or about $25 used.

I think $200 would be more realistic, and it will open three hybrid amps the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, a Millet, and the Little Dot Micro Tube. Best of luck.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on buying an Oppo 980 sometime soon to replace by old source, as it seems like a great player for the price. Obviously, I'm going to need an amp to go with it. What I need:

- Budget: around $100 for amp, cables, etc.

- Headphones: Grado SR-80s

- Would prefer if amp could power higher-end headphones, like the Senn 6XX line or K701s.

- Portability is not an issue. This is purely for at-home listening.

Any suggestions?

Until I sold it a few days ago, I was using a Little Dot II++ with my Oppo 970 (with a Musiland MD10) and was very happy with the sound. LDII++ can be found used for around $150.

Pierre

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The max I would go is $150.

The Little Dot II+ looks good, but I'm somewhat wary of tube amps.

Don't be, BTW right now there is a Little Dot Micro Tube on sale here for $155 including an spare set of tubes. It is a hybrid amp (tubes for gain stage and ss for amplification stage) that sounds very nicely.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be, BTW right now there is a Little Dot Micro Tube on sale here for $155 including an spare set of tubes. It is a hybrid amp (tubes for gain stage and ss for amplification stage) that sounds very nicely.

So how does it compare to the Little Dot II? Would that pretty much be as good as I could get in that price range?

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm bumping this because I'm going to be able to afford an amp very soon. I'm looking at the Little Dot II or Little Dot Micro Tube. Any other suggestions?

There's also a SOHA Hybrid Tube Amp for sale for $155 in the FS forums. Is that one any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back