Good amp that goes around $150 ?
Jul 30, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 34
I'm sure there are MANY that can vouch for JMT, eric343, and tangent. Seriously, although I don't have one of his amps, tangent has been AMAZING and tolerant in answering my questions. He know's more about electronics than I'll ever know, and was VERY helpful in helping me design my meta42.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 34
I do not recommend the META42 for Beyer DT 250-80, the headphones simply cannot keep up with the speed of the meta. Also, the light body of the amp does not mate well with the heavy nature of the beyers, it sounds hollow. Although I only listened to the Corda HA-1 on an unfamiliar system, I think this would be the amp of choice for the 250-80. Granted the Corda is more expensive, but if you have no plans on getting better headphones, I say get a Corda.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 34
I wish I could sample the Meta42 amp and run a side by side comparisons with other amps. Does anyone know if and where something like that can be arranged?

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 34
If you would fill out your profile's "location" field, you might find that there are people nearby that would let you listen to their amp.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

I resent that insinuation, because it's simply NOT TRUE: I don't have a basement.

Neither do I. A corner in my home office, yes. But NO basement!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
I wish I could sample the Meta42 amp and run a side by side comparisons with other amps. Does anyone know if and where something like that can be arranged?

This Saturday in Dallas, Tangent's version of the META42 will be available for side by side comparrison with *at least* the MG Head OTL, AudioValve RKV, Sugden Headmaster and Corda Blue (Corda HA-1 with mods by KurtW). There will likely also be some amplifiers from Headroom, possibly the EAR HP-4, the ASL TwinHead, other variants of the META42 and others.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

Neither do I. A corner in my home office, yes. But NO basement!
smily_headphones1.gif

No basement??? Sir, you are no Bill Gates!!!

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Someone mentioned earlier that Bill Gates started in a basement.

Hi bif.

I said garage. YOU said basement... Mister...

OK, garages or basements, this META 42 have made a lot of people happy. THIS is important. These META fellows knows every thing about amp staff.

Best from

Ari
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

No basement??? Sir, you are no Bill Gates!!!

If I did this in a basement, I'd never see my family!!
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

If I did this in a basement, I'd never see my family!!
frown.gif

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Imagine the kind of an amp you could produce if you had a basement! You'd be the Von Braun of amp designs.

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 34
Lol!

All in favor of locking JMT in his basement with an opamp, a paperclip, nail clippings, and a spoon until he designs an uber amp, say aye.

tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #29 of 34
Just for the records...

I ordered a META42 from Tangent and a CH47 Penguin from JMT and I'm like a kid here waiting for Xtmas...
biggrin.gif

Best from

Ari

Set up WILL be:

Mobile: SONY MZ-R37 MDP>CH47>ETY 4P/S

Home: Nakamichi 10-S>META42>ETY 4P/S and my wife complaining...

4x4 trail: SONY MZ-R37 MDP>META42>ETY 4P/S and my navigator complaining...
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I do not recommend the META42 for Beyer DT 250-80, the headphones simply cannot keep up with the speed of the meta. Also, the light body of the amp does not mate well with the heavy nature of the beyers, it sounds hollow. Although I only listened to the Corda HA-1 on an unfamiliar system, I think this would be the amp of choice for the 250-80. Granted the Corda is more expensive, but if you have no plans on getting better headphones, I say get a Corda.

I also own the Beyer DT250-80 and am considering obtaining an amp. The META42 is a front-runner based solely on posts here.

Can anyone add to Audio&Me's comments above? I find this helpful but would like some other opinions - any amp builders listened to the Beyers with a META42?

Any other DIY amps that might be a good pairing with the Beyers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back