Good amp for the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700.
Jan 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ascension

New Head-Fier
I have the audio-technica ATH-AD700s and I hear that using an amp makes it sounds better. I know hardly anything about amps, so I would like a recommendation from you guys.
darthsmile.gif

I assume you plug the headphones into the amp which then plugs into my PC?

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 6
the AD700's are already driven pretty easily. I'm not sure exactly how much you'd benefit from the amp, but I am pretty sure that any benefit you do get out of it wont be worth the several hundred you'll be spending on the desktop amp.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 6
There is no point in getting an Amp for AD700, even for AD900 the improvements aren't unbelievable, instead of spending $200+ on an amplifier for headphones that don't require it, you're better off getting a better pair of headphones. However in this case it sounds like you've already got a pair of AD700 maybe you should improve your source instead, better soundcard etc.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Look into a DAC. The Zero Dac is a great start, low impact on the wallet and comes with a headphone amp. You can get a cleaner source and sample some headphone ampage while you're at it. I think it's only about $170.00 shipped. Add some upgrades to that bad boy and you can match DACs in the 600-800 dollar range.

CHeers!!!

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascension /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the audio-technica ATH-AD700s and I hear that using an amp makes it sounds better. I know hardly anything about amps, so I would like a recommendation from you guys.
darthsmile.gif

I assume you plug the headphones into the amp which then plugs into my PC?

What sound card or source from your PC are you using? What's your budget for making your AD700 sound better?

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 6
If you play your music check out the asus xonar essence stx soundcard. Some people in the computer as source section are saying it's the best thing ever and it has a built in amp. Costs $185 at xpcgear I think, or $200 at newegg. I think I'm getting one myself. Or the zero dac, also a great idea. I didn't notice the difference much on my AT's when I first got my amp but I really noticed when I tried without the amp months later. I think it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back