Good Amp for TH-X00 Purpleheart (and How to Pair Headphones and Amps)
Feb 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

David Howland

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi

I recently got a pair of TH-X00s and was in love with them until my Fiancee mentioned how loud they were plugged into my Magni V1. I took them off my head and could hear them clearly across the room. If anything it's a compliment to the Magni, as it can power anything easily, but for a sensitive headphone like the TH-X00 it kills my ears just after the two earcups balance out. I can lower the digital volume a bit to crank up the knob, but then it doesn't sound as clean that way. I also have a NuForce UDAC-2, which pumps out a safe amount of power, but I don't think the DAC in that is near as good or the amp near as clean as the Schiit stack.

I want to keep the Schiit stack in my setup because I have hard to drive headphones like the HD600 and the 280Ohm DT-770 I still enjoy when not listening to the TH-X00.

I'm a huge Schiit fan, and I've been looking at the Fulla 2 to use exclusively with the Fostex, but is that a large improvement over the UDAC? Are there low power super clean amps, or maybe just amps that have a High Sensitivity/ Low Gain mode to be an overall improvement over my entire setup switching gain settings? Up until I came to realize the Fostex's are super sensitive I wanted to upgrade to the Balanced DAC version of the Jotenheim, but I'm worried the amp in that will completely obliterate my ears.

What do you recommend? I'd like to get into higher end gear, but the direction I went in headphones seems to discourage that. I would have thought clean would be a priority in Amps, but it seems the bigger and more expensive you go the louder they get. If I were shopping specs on my own, what spec would I be looking at for an amp to be right for sensitive headphones, or a wide variety of headphones? I prefer more detail over loud volume. I don't have an 'Insane' budget. The Jotenheim is slightly out of reach, but it's so highly rated I have heard it's a great deal.

Thanks

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 2
Bump... Any ideas? Last night I was looking at the Aune X1S or the Fostex HP-A3. HP-A3 apparently has a really nice volume knob where there's no 'dead-zone' for the earcups to balance out and the Aune is a very good DAC with a less powerful amp.

Thanks again, and if I missed any information please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back