Good amp for Philips 963sa?
Aug 21, 2003 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what would be a good amp to go in between the Philips 963sa and a pair of Grados (SR-60 and SR-225, with the future possibility of RS-1). I did some searching but didn't find many pairings. I know bobjew recently got the Singlepower MPX3, and it seems like he really likes it. Price would hopefully be in the sub 600 range. I'm currently leaning towards amps like the MAD Ear+, or perhaps a Melos SHA-1, or maybe the MPX-3, since those (at least the first 2) seem to have good pairings with phones like the Grados.

If you have any other recommendations, tube or SS, let me know.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, and preferred music would be such things as pop/rock, electronica, etc.

Aug 22, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 14
Since you have grados, why not buy an MAD EAR+?

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 14
Yeah I'm leaning towards either the MAD Ear+ or the Melos, only because my research so far has shown that these two have pretty good synergy with Grados... But I'm still waiting to see if anyone has any opinions on which amps (MPX3 and/or Supra included) would have better overall system synergy.

Hey Bob, I think I just might take you up on your offer...

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the Philips, the MPX3, and the HP-2s, and the synergy is amazing. I had the MAD Ear + for a short while; the MPX3 is a much better amp--better detail, bass control, overall fast, natural sound.

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Question: Frank, am curious about your experience with the MAD Ear+... where your comparissons with "old" style Grados (HP2) or more current issue Grados? Just curious because I was under the impression that most of the positive feedback on the MAD/Grado combo was with the current Grado line.

Thanks!

BTW: anyone know if pricing is publicly on the MPX3?

Comment: I've got both the Philips and the MAD Ear+ and, until recently, had the Grado 125. Very nice combo to my ears with rock, jazz, some classical. Got rid of the Grado because I just prefer the sound of Etys. Can't help it... I'm a detail junkie!

Plus, if you at all are interested in DIY, the project is fun to build, even for total novices.

Be warned! Mine is NOT a well informed opinion! I have not had a chance to directly compare the Ear+ to other, comparably priced amps.

Bruce

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Bruce,

I had a problem with the first MAD Ear+ that I bought (it arrived DOA). By the time I received the replacement, I had made up my mind to go with the CPX3, and then the MPX3 (I heard both at the May NY meet). I tried the MAD with the RS-1s (which I owned before the HP-2s). The combination was o.k., but the amp is nowhere near as detailed or refined as the MPX3 (or even the CPX3).

Once you own the MPX3, there is no looking back.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bobjew
FCJ:

Thanks for saying it for me. Starting to sound like a damned evangelist. (pun intended)

Bob

LOL, you or me?

Aug 25, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Well either way, your proselytization is working. I'm trying to spec out an MPX3. This is a far cry from my previous expectation of trying to start off small into the world of tube amps. The Ear+ would have run me only about 275-350.

Bobjew, when you got yours, did you go for any of the upgrades? Like the upgraded in/out connectors, or upgraded capacitors? Just wondering if anyone know what kind of difference they would make, and if I should go for the gusto now, or get it stock first and see if I can later add the upgrades?

Aug 26, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Chinchy, here is the parts listing I received with the insructions on my MPX3. I don't know if any upgrades were incorporated. I'm sure Mikhail can answer that as well as the effects the upgrades will have. He is very good about returning emails.

Here's the list:
600V center tap power transformer
2x 650uf Res. capacitors
Many stages of filtration with other cap networks
OTL(Output TransformerLess) circuit topology
Filtered and rectified DC heater supply
High quality regulation-This is a brick wall to any noise coming from your wall (mains) supply
Standard ALPS audio volume control
Silver-Ceramic Sockets
Silver Teflon wire
Silver solder
"Orange drop" Polypropylene coupling caps
Metal film resistors and high quality components throughout
OFC Shielded wire for signal path
Stainless Steel Chassis, 360 degree ground plane

Aug 26, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 14
chinchy: had a chance to hear the MPX3 this weekend at Hirsch's. Grado HP2, RS1, 325 all sounded lovely with this amp, especially when mated with a terrific source like the Arcam CD72.

If you have a chance, see if you can attend a meet to hear gear first hand. It's not always possible and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But it's always better to hear the gear before buying.

I can understand if cash is tight trying to save a bit here and there. But if there's a chance to pull it off, would encourage going the MPX3 route while saving to get an outstanding source to feed it. FWIW: I was very impressed with this amp with Grados.

Although I really enjoy the MAD Ear+ and had a terrific time building it, it does not provide the same level of performance that the MPX3 does for my ears/tastes, even with upgraded tubes.

Bruce

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I suggest the Melos, so you can have a piece for a stereo as well. Too many people here have unbelievable headphone systems, yet no speakers. I know it is a headphone site, but everyone should experience a good home system. I imagine most people watch movies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back