Good amp for HD650's?
Aug 6, 2005 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shplorgh

Headphoneus Supremus
I have my 650's now (YAY!
600smile.gif
), but now I need an amp for them.
rolleyes.gif
What's a good amp for the 650's in the 300~400 price range? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 12
I've been listening to my 650s powered by a Rockhopper PIMETA. So far I'd say it's going great. Of course I'm already planning an upgrade to a Headroom or Meier amp, so take that with a chunk of which ever mineral you prefer.

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 12
For portable use, the Ray Samuel's SR-71, HeadAmp's AE-1 and HeadRoom mini Amp with Desktop module are all excellent. In stationary amplifiers the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite comes to mind. I think the SinglePower PPX3 might be somewhere around the upper end of your price range but I haven't priced them. I personally like the SR-71 but haven't had enough time with the others to say which is the best.

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm using HD650 with Supermacro 3 OPA627.
I have tried other opamps, but I prefer OPA627, it's more natural and detailed in my opinion. When I'm using ADA797, I find that my HD650 sounds similar to my HD600. But with OPA627, I find that HD650 sounds a lot more detailed, more body, much better compared to HD600(which sounds light in comparison).

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
For portable use, the Ray Samuel's SR-71, HeadAmp's AE-1 and HeadRoom mini Amp with Desktop module are all excellent. In stationary amplifiers the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite comes to mind. I think the SinglePower PPX3 might be somewhere around the upper end of your price range but I haven't priced them. I personally like the SR-71 but haven't had enough time with the others to say which is the best.

What do you think of the Emmeline XP-7?

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 12
I am enjoying my HD650s through my recently completed bottlehead S.E.X. amp. It definitely is in line with the way the Senns sound. Right now the best I can describe the sound is slightly on the dark/warm side with good detail but never fatiguing. I can listen to my Grados for about 30 minutes before my ears hurt and I can go about 3-4 hours with the senns. For marathons I still prefer the Philips HP890.

I can not comment on the other amps but hopefully I will get a chance to listen to them at a meet.

Andrew

Aug 8, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
What do you think of the Emmeline XP-7?

I like it though my experience with it has been under meet conditions. It seemed to be very close to the HR-2 which has always been one of my favorite amplifiers with the Senns. If you like the Ray Samuel's house sound as embodied in the HR-2/XP-7/SR-71 line of amplifiers, it probably still makes sense for use as a mostly stationary amplifier with occasional portable use since the other gear out there won't have quite the same sound signature. OTOH, if you need portability (with a HD-650?), we have a lot of choices that are small and sound wonderful like the AE-1, SR-71 and upcoming Hornet. While the Headroom miniAmp with Desktop module also has wonderful sound it seems to me to be more competitive with the XP-7 since the battery life is rather short for intensive portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back