Good amp for HD600 and RS-1
Jan 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fld777

100+ Head-Fier
Whats a good portable amp to drive both of these cans equally well ?

If to go desktop, what can you guys suggest ?

Shortlist: Predator, HR2, Gilmore GS1, AE-1.

Perhaps someone can chime in with experience.

Tks.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 13
Try the Amps forum instead. And what's your source? And you should establish which amp type you want between portable and home. If you don't need something on batteries, then go for a home amp.

Also the AE-1 was discontinued last year, there's only the AE-2 now.

The Eddie Current EC/SS is designed with both headphones, btw. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Asr;3648277 said:
Try the Amps forum instead. And what's your source? And you should establish which amp type you want between portable and home. If you don't need something on batteries, then go for a home amp.

source is Ipod & CD player.
Battery is nice but not really necessary.
Most important criteria is amp can give good equal sound quality to both headphones.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I can't offer a comparison between the amps you have labelled, but I can say that the GS-1 does fit your description. The GS-1 is magic with my RS-2, and it does a slightly worst job against the Graham Slee Solo Green (meaning that it's still brilliant).

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't offer a comparison between the amps you have labelled, but I can say that the GS-1 does fit your description. The GS-1 is magic with my RS-2, and it does a slightly worst job against the Graham Slee Solo Green (meaning that it's still brilliant).

Hi, is the GS solo green a new product from GSP ?
So from your words, the Solo Green is still better than the GS1 ?
GSP products are good. I owned their phono stages are they are just good!

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fld777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from your words, the Solo Green is still better than the GS1 ?

Only for the HD650. Using the RS-2, and the K701, the GS-1 kicks its arse. For the K701, the performance is close, but the solo is not a good match with the RS-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fld777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the GS solo green a new product from GSP ?

This was the new version of the Solo which was bought to the UK head-fi meet back in October. I don't know when it was released however.

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Progenitor;3648461 said:
Only for the HD650. Using the RS-2, and the K701, the GS-1 kicks its arse. For the K701, the performance is close, but the solo is not a good match with the RS-2.

Interesting. thanks!

Anyone here can chime in good matches for RS1 ? I read awhile back Grado's own RA-1 amp is great with RS1. But doubt it will be good with HD600.

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Interesting question. My Xcan V3 is very good with the hd600 but it's not a good match for my RS-1...

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 13
The Mapletree HD was designed using a senn and it's sinergy with Grados reputation is huge. I use one with my RS-1 and am happy. I'd suggest you to check about the senns. Have read good reviews, but never tried a senn with a Mapletree ...

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I have use a Gilmore lite for my Senn 650s and MS-2i (now soled...RS-1 coming) and have never felt the need to upgrade.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 13
Hmmm... perhaps you can share what your source is exactly. I tried pairing my Mapletree HD with a Naim5i and 5x. Sounded excellent with the 5x but was simply too painful with the 5x.

I knew that the source's important, but that experience convinced me thoroughly.

Anyway, heard that the L.I.S.A's an excellent transportable amp as well. (In my opinion, much better than the AE2) Perhaps you might consider adding to your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back