Good amp for Grado's
Jul 21, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by toddwj
Can someone reccomend a good amp for the Grado sr 125's. I will eventually upgrade to either the 325's or possiblly the RS1. Thanks

Any of the gilmore amp (the gilmore lite will prob fit you best though). Also the Grado Ra-1 is pretty decent with the grados (works very well with the rs-1).

Jul 21, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Grado RA-1 is the ticket.

It is much, much more then just... "decent".
biggrin.gif

It really makes Grado cans sing at full potential.

Jul 21, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 14
What do you like to hear: detail, treble extension, or smooth liquid bass?

I can vouch for Kunwar's MAD Ear suggestion if you want a valve amp. Also I fell in love with the MG Head OTL 32 when listening at Snufkin's.

Hey Kunwar, why didn't you recommend the Talismand T-3H. I just bought one for my Alessandros after listening to yours!

TonyAAA

Jul 21, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 14
Now that more thatn 2 people finally own the Alessandro's and the talisman, i think we can start recopmmending it to other's as well.
I can't find it for sale in the US.

The talisman is actually a FET based design and does not involve the use of any opamps thereby avoiding any coloration of the sound.
Which is even better cause you do not need to match the amp with the system as the Talisman outputs what is input into it.
No coloring, darkening, mellowing or maturing and whatever other crap word people seem to associate with the sound of certain amps.

It is a truly wonderful design

Hey 3lusiv3 you might want to listen to it at Tony's house or something.
take your singlepower with you and have a mini meet

the ear+ is a nice amp but just doesn't cut it when compared to the Talisman.
GO Team Talisman!!

Jul 21, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 14
I recommend the Gilmore Lite or v2 from Headamp.com.

Jul 21, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 14
If he has a SR125 (similar to my MS-1) he might be on a budget (like me) so I would suggest a Low-Z Cmoy. It will run you from 30-50 bucks, and a DIYer here in Head-Fi can customize it to do most anything you want it to do, within reason. I love it, and highly suggest it.

Jul 21, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
If he has a SR125 (similar to my MS-1) he might be on a budget (like me) so I would suggest a Low-Z Cmoy. It will run you from 30-50 bucks, and a DIYer here in Head-Fi can customize it to do most anything you want it to do, within reason. I love it, and highly suggest it.

This is similar to the setup I have, I also really enjoy it. The next one I build will be more suited to Grado's, though.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 14
I owned the 323's and the RS-1's for some time. I personally found that they paired extremely well with the MicroZotl I was using at the time. Particularly the RS-1's. The two had an obvious synergy due to their respective sonic personalities. Grado detail and Zotl lushness was very tasty. Actually I miss them and when I can afford to, I'm considering re-acquiring the pair to add to what I have now just for fun. If it's at all in your budget you should audition one. They can be had used on occasion as well.

Jul 21, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Do headamps really help the Alessandros? They're only 32ohms.

I use my grado PS-1 with the HeadAmp gilmore balanced reference and am pleased with the sound I get. any of the gilmore dynamic designs should work very well. I haven't used my grado HPA-1 amp recently but I'll try that with the PS-1 and see which I like better.

Jul 22, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Do headamps really help the Alessandros? They're only 32ohms.

Alessandros and Grados have the same impedance. And yes, they benefit from headamps. Like my MS-2's with PPA.

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 14
3lusiv3: Amps make a difference all right! And as for the question of do the Alessandros (nee Grados) need an amp... well the CDP sure won't drive them without one... and better amps are obvious in the sound they pass on.

I'll get flamed for sure for this one: but the difference between the MS-pros and the MS-2s seems less than the difference between my NAD T741 headphone out and the Talisman 3-H which is very obvious to my ears. No, not just my ears but to my wife's ears as well. Okay, it does to some extent depend on what you are listening for. We didn't expect an amp to make all that much difference but it did, particularly in clarity, detail, upper treble. It was like moving to a better source but not as dramatic, and more obvious the more you listen to music you've heard before and know well.

You gotta bring your cans and that PPX3 over...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back