good amp for grado sr325
Jan 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

specto

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I absolutely love the sound of my grados, in fact they seem to grow on me each day. Right now I am powering them with a cmoybb, which does the job quite well, but I can't help but think I am missing something. What amp, diy or otherwise, is a good match for these?

edit: ~$200-$500, preferably on the lower end, and possibly a DAC included (but I can always get this separate)

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I use a little dot I+ and it does a very nice job with my 325is and my rs1s. Being a hybrid it s ideal cos you get a nice tube pre-stage and loads of current ( good for low impedance cans like grados) from the solid-state output stage. It is also a nice affordable option, and little dot tend to punch above their weight class when it comes to performance-for-money. Depending on your budget i am sure that people will have loads of suggestions.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...sb-dac-433150/

This amp got a good review with Grado phones. I don't know your price range, but I picked the amp up because of its price and Grado synergy.

It sounds great with my SR80s, that's for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it, but I cannot in good conscience purchase a head-direct item after some customer support that a friend received in the past.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes, the EF2 is supposed to be very good for the money. Tubes are definitely the way to go for Grado's, don't go SS IMO, I dislike it. The Little Dot I+ is very good with low impedience cans like Grado's so they will pair very well together, as other users have stated.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it, but I cannot in good conscience purchase a head-direct item after some customer support that a friend received in the past.

That's too bad. I like my SR325i paired with the EF2.

The other popular option (like others have mentioned) is the Little Dot I+. Although, I haven't actually heard this combination personally.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Thank you to the OP! (I was going to post the same question in this forum as well and kind of hinted at this in the 325 owner's thread).

I'm looking for a portable amp for my gen 5 ipod and Grado 325iS cans, and now - apparently - a home amp as well
tongue.gif

So, i was thinking about getting two amps from Headamp: a Pico / DAC and a GS-1.

The idea would be that I could use the Pico with my ipod (as an amp via LOD) while on the go; at the office I would use the Pico as a DAC / amp with my computer.

The GS-1 would be at home and I could hook the Pico up to it as a DAC / Pre-amp.

Does that seem reasonable? Does anyone know if the GS-1 is at the end of its life (product wise) - it seems to have been on the market now for 4 or 5 years. Is this a reasonable solution? I would be buying these amps without listening to them, but they booth seem to have good reputations and I've heard that the Pico matches well with the Grado 325is. I also have an old pair of SR60s as well, which I guess will benefit from the Pico / ipod combo as well?

[edit] = another amp option coming to mind could be the WA6?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back