Good Amp/Dac pair for Hifiman Ananda Stealth
Dec 12, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 17
Does it also require a new kind of cable?
Balanced would require 3-pin XLR interconnects. On the cheap side, you can get them for under $10 for the pair, but when you move up to about $20-35, you get better connectors and they tell you the wire used.

The reason I recommend the THX789 is because it has 3.5, 1/4, and XLR headphone outs. That flexibility will help you grow. You'll come across headphones that come with XLR cables vs. 1/4 as you get more into it.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 17
Hey guys!
I just got the Ananda Stealth headphones as a gift from my brother, currently they are plugged into my Focusrite Solo audio interface and I'm just trying to find a way to improve not only the headphones but my overall setup.

I'm looking at the schiit stack (magni + modi) and it seems pretty good however, a lot of people are recommending things more expensive than that so I fear that I am not buying something matching the need for the headphones.
I got the Ananda Stealth Magnets just before Xmas. I also have the Drop Sennheiser HD6XX's. I've had the HD6XX's for about 2 yrs. now. I bought them about the same time that I got a Schiit Lyr 3/ Bifrost 2 stack. While the HD6XX's and the Lyr3 /BF 2 compliment each other and sound great, I was looking for a pair of planars to compliment the HD6XX's. I had previously considered the Sundara but settled on the ASM.

The ASM's have about 50 hrs. on them and they just seem to be getting better with each use.

Not sure a Magni/Modi stack would do the ASM's justice. Maybe a Magnius/Modius stack but that would blow your budget. The Magnius would be more flexible since it provides both SE and XLR inputs. Having XLR doesn't necessarily better than SE. That would depend on the design circuitry, quality of components and whether or not the amplifier is a true balanced design. A true balanced amplifier will be balanced from input all the way through to the output and it will be more expensive.

As someone pointed out with short cable runs, you're not likely to hear any difference or improvement.

With respect to Schiit components and specificall with the ASM's in mind, IMHO, I think you would be more satisfied with a Asgard /BF 2 stack (new or used)
or the older Lyr 3 / Bifrost 2 (used).

What I like about the Bifrost 2 aside from what it brings sonically is it's modularity. It's user upgradable; which makes it somewhat future proof.
I'll probably get the Bifrost 2/64 Analog Card to upgrade my kit.

My suggestion: Save your coin and keep an eye on Schiit's B-Stock & Closeout listings as well as used hardware listings here or other headphone or audio related sites like Steve Hoffman Music forums. Obviously, your choice whatever you decide will depend on your budget, personal taste and the type of music you listen to.

Now that the Lyr+ and Bifrost 2/64 have been introduced, there may be some buying opportunities on the used market because of those that have traded up.

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Ananda's, good luck in your hardware search and a Happy New Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back