Good Amp and DAC?
Aug 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 28
So from what I'm getting I should steer clear of the A5+, if this is the case, why? And I don't care about portability, I want accurate powerful audio, but I can only have 2 speakers. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 28
I dont have enough room for a surround sound setup, nor the budget I just want a 2 speaker configuration since its all that I can fit in the room I have, I only have 7 foot by 2.5 foot space for the speakers.

Makes sense. But that does that mean you want a sub? Or not?

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 28
Actually Fiio E9/E17 setup is quite good for the price. E17 is a great DAC in its class, sound EQ options for bass and treble. Also very portable. E9 amp gives more juice and while the sound is not so different with the dock, I think it pushes the vocals a little more.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #20 of 28
The A5+ is a very good desktop powered monitor. I just think there are better values by going with passive speakers + an amp. Also, in the price range of the A5+, the Emotiva Airmotivs are really nice for a powered speaker.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 28
Guys I am a bit confused with the AMP/DAC thing and since you referred some Schiit products  I will post my question here. So I  recently bought the BeyderDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm and I am using them with the Asus Xonar DG and I am not very happy with the sound. The problem is my budget, I cannot afford buying Magni and Modi in the same time so what you recommend me to buy first ?

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #22 of 28
  Guys I am a bit confused with the AMP/DAC thing and since you referred some Schiit products  I will post my question here. So I  recently bought the BeyderDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm and I am using them with the Asus Xonar DG and I am not very happy with the sound. The problem is my budget, I cannot afford buying Magni and Modi in the same time so what you recommend me to buy first ?

FiiO E11K ($60) headphone amplifier, plug it straight into the Xonar DG.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1073962&gclid=CPyflbWVpcACFcZQ7Aod9n4AGA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Or swap out the Xonar DG for the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $83
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Beamforming-Microphone-SB1500/dp/B009ISU33E

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #23 of 28

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 28
  I didn't disable it in the BIOS...

Leaving the on-board enabled may or may not effect the Xonar DG.
It's usually safer just to disable on-board audio (in the BIOS).

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #26 of 28

Unless you're getting interference, get an amp before a dac. It's going to make a larger difference, especially since you have a sound card already.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 28
I'm wondering about something, considering that the A5+ are powers and the speakers recommended to me are passive is their a difference in sound quality between passive and powered?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #28 of 28
I'm wondering about something, considering that the A5+ are powers and the speakers recommended to me are passive is their a difference in sound quality between passive and powered?

No. It's the combination of drivers, enclosures, and amplification that make the differences.

But obviously some speakers are a better value than others. A5+ is a safe choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back