Good Amp and DAC?
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

zogo13

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm in the market for an Amp and DAC (I don't mind if their two separate boxes) and I'd like to know what some options are for the 200$-300$ price point? And is having a separate Amp and DAC better than having them combined into one box?

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 28
No. It's not necessarily better to have separates.

Audio-GD NFB-15 is a nice all in one unit with lots of power. Also has a pre-amp for hooking up an external speaker amp or powered speakers so that you can use the same volume control. And it has multiple digital inputs.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 28
The Modi and Magni are comparable to the O2/ODAC, but the Modi can be ordered with an optical input instead of USB. The ODAC does not do optical. Scratch that.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 28
  Can the Modi and Magni be connected to an Xbox One? As a lot of my music is on it.

I would assume(?) the Modi optical DAC will work with the xBox One's optical output.
But you would not get any headphone surround sound, as you would have to set the gaming console to 2-channel stereo (which is fine for music), for these being a chance of an external optical DAC working with any gaming console (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, xBox One, etc).
The Astro mix-amp ($130) can provide headphone surround sound from a gaming console (for surround sound gaming), but you would not get the same audio quality as you would with Schiit or Audio-GD products.

You might consider making all your music audio into mp3s and storing & playing them from a DAP (Digital Audio Player).

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 28
  I don't want any surround sound, I will be connecting them to some Audio Engine A5+, unless I don't need the Modi and Magni for the A5+?

If all your connecting to is (self-powered) studio monitors (A5+), then all you need is a optical DAC (Modi?) and have no need for an amplifier (Magni).
Do you already have the A5+ ?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 28
If you are trying to build a gaming setup for your Xbox One for a speaker setup, skip the A5s and forget powered monitors all together. Get

* This Denon AVR-1513. It has all the connections you need for hooking up the Xbox One, and leaves your room to expand to add on more speakers for surround sound and/or source devices. Better subwoofer integration (should you want one).
* HSU HB-1 MK2. These are better speakers than the A5 series.
* EMP Tek E5Bi. These would be comparable speakers to the A5s, but for the lower price you could couple them with a Dayton SUB 1200.

Depending on your overall budget, there are even better options to build a good setup for gaming. What is your overall budget? And can you describe more precisely everything you would like from your setup and what you want to hook up to it?

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 28
I dont have enough room for a surround sound setup, nor the budget I just want a 2 speaker configuration since its all that I can fit in the room I have, I only have 7 foot by 2.5 foot space for the speakers.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 28
  No, I do not have the A5+

Monoprice 5" ($172) or 8" ($255) self powered monitors.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 28
If you want a tube, take a look at the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition.

If you need / want more accurate audio, the Modi/Magni stack is a good choice.

If you need something portable, check out the Fiio E17 DAC and E09K dock/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back