Good alternative to the Audiengine D1?
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dekaliber

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, infrequent poster here. I'm in the marketing for a DAC/amp for a home/semi-mobile setup and I have a few specific requirements that somewhat limits my options. 

- Needs to have both optical and USB in (doesn't have to switch as only one will be plugged in at any time)
- Needs to have RCA out that is also controlled by volume knob
- Ideally sub-$200

The closest thing I've found is the Audioengine D1 which seems generally good except for the lowest volume levels where it goes from basically silent to borderline too loud in the space of about 5 degrees. This is with Sennheiser Momentum phones which are probably a little too sensitive so ideally I'd like a knob that has a smoother gradient of sensitivity at lower levels.

Any other suggestions?

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like a neat unit but it might be a little on the larger side (definitely not portable). Was hoping to get something more along the size of the Audioengine or one of the Nuforce uDacs (which unfortunately have a coax in and not optical...otherwise would be pretty perfect) so I could move it between my laptop and PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back