Good affordable amp for AKG K271's?
Oct 17, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm in the same boat as you.
wink.gif

But I've been researching the topic for almost a year now, so my research might help you out. On the cheap side, you can get a CMOY in an Altoid tin. They show up sometimes in the FS forum. But if you can afford more than ~$30, there's the Little Dot Micro (a small tube amp) at ~$55, which would probably have good synergy with the K271S, if you'd prefer clarity that is. There's the Xenos 0HA, also good for clarity. Going up in price a bit, there's the Go-Vibe at $89, also good for clarity with the AD8620 opamp.

You can go still more expensive, over the $100 mark, but I don't know of those, sorry. There is the Xin SuperMini-3 though, which looks absolutely incredible, and is amazingly tiny. $150 for that one until the 31st I think.

Some notes you might want to keep in mind: the K271S apparently works optimally with tube amps. I don't know of any tube amps other than the Little Dot Micro though, sorry (they don't get very cheap, heh). And you probably want to avoid amps that are known for "warmth," like the PocketAmp, because the K271S already has a warm mid-range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back