Good/accurate bass for under $150
Jul 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd really like to hear opinions on the quality/quantity of the bass on the ath m50, because I just saw a good deal on them....also opinions on the Equation RP21 would be most welcome. Do either of these hps do justice to the low end in your opinion? Are they accurate enough to mix bass with? I just did a great little mod on my RP21 which got them sounding real nice...removed the foam pads covering the drivers...but to me they sound a bit bass heavy. However I'm coming from listening mostly with very bass light hps...especially the akg 240DF. The RP21's also have more bass emphasis than my monitor speakers(Events with 5" woofers). How is the bass on the m50...and especially the upper bass? I hate the big boost the k240S hps gives to that region.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 14
No one want to comment on the bass of the m50? Judging by the frequency response graph they look real bass heavy. Perhaps good/accurate bass doesn't exist under $150. Maybe I'll wait til the jury is in on the new Shure 840's. They're a bit over my budget at the moment.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 14
Wow, give it a day or two, instead of an hour or two in the middle of the night.

Someone with experience with the cans you ask about will post something. (That's not me.)

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 14
An hour or two? What are you talking about? I think you got your AM's and PM's confused.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 14
I found my bass hps...GMP 8.35 D Monitor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Hey Acix, thanks for the heads up on those. I read most of your thread on them. I'm itching to buy, but my wallet is looking a little thin at the moment! I'll probably wait to hear more about the new shure 840's which are getting some great reviews by forum members and can be purchased for only a bit over my budget. I'm on the fence about the m50's. Don't know how much weight to give the freq. response graphs, but the one for the m50 looks really bass heavy. The one for the k601 looks very flat...but it's also bit over my budget. How's the bass on the Pioneer monitor 10?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Acix, thanks for the heads up on those. I read most of your thread on them. I'm itching to buy, but my wallet is looking a little thin at the moment! I'll probably wait to hear more about the new shure 840's which are getting some great reviews by forum members and can be purchased for only a bit over my budget. I'm on the fence about the m50's. Don't know how much weight to give the freq. response graphs, but the one for the m50 looks really bass heavy. The one for the k601 looks very flat...but it's also bit over my budget. How's the bass on the Pioneer monitor 10?

The Pioneer 10 have a sweet bass, but may consider flat compare to the M-50.
The GMP 8.35 have a better definition on the bass, much more easy to work on music this way.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Another good one is the ATH-M50. Deep bass that's pretty accurate and not exaggerated.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good one is the ATH-M50. Deep bass that's pretty accurate and not exaggerated.

x2

I have looked into them and they seem to have good bass from the reviews I have read

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found my bass hps...GMP 8.35 D Monitor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Acix.

Are you advertising these headphones or something? Because almost every "closed headphone" thread you recommend these.

Reason? Are they just THAT good?

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I've read a lot of praise for those. Hope the bass is not just "pretty accurate" though... I'm looking for 'very' accurate...if that's obtainable within my budget of $150. Probably not. Wish someone could do a comparison with the RP21, which had a humongous thread of mostly very positive reviews a couple of years ago. To my ears...and a couple of other head-fi'ers, though, the bass is over done on those.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Update: I just put on an old Supremes song with a driving bass line(You Can't Hurry Love) and the bass was really overpowering with the RP21. After I eq'd out up to 4dB of the low end it sounded much more in balance with the rest of the frequencies. A lot of reviewers wrote the RP21 up as having great accurate bass. All these assessments(my own included) are totally subjective of course, unless we are comparing the hps to high quality studio monitor speakers. Nothing wrong with liking a lot of bass(or treble, or whatever), but if we call it accurate, we should probably state a frame of reference.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pioneer 10 have a sweet bass, but may consider flat compare to the M-50.
The GMP 8.35 have a better definition on the bass, much more easy to work on music this way.

I probably will have to stretch my wallet a bit. Those GMP's seem like the ideal solution...excellent SQ and can use them with my Sansa clip when I'm away from my 'studio' set up. I have one more question, if you don't mind me picking your brain again. Since I know you have a mastering studio and good monitoring, as far as quantity (of bass) are they spot on accurate compared to your speakers? This is important because I have a song I want to submit to Pump Audio and/or Taxi, and I originally mixed it with the v-6's, I think. Anyhow, listening with my Equations it was so extremely boomy in the 200hz region(the v-6 has a huge dip there, so I never noticed it) that I was embarrassed that I put it on the web like that. And songs that I mixed with the 240DF's are way too bass heavy when listening with the Equations. I obviously need to get some accurate monitoring in my set up ASAP!! (I often work late at night when speakers are not an option)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back